Discrimination Tribunals — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination Tribunals

Options
higgyjig
higgyjig Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2017 in Work and employment
Has anyone experience of taking employer to a discrimination tribunal due to disability discrimination.?

Do you have any advice?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A long time ago I took an organisation that I had applied to for a job to an employment tribunal on the grounds that they didn't invite me for interview because I was disabled.  Both sides attended a Hearing after which the other side settled and paid me compensation which was negotiated through ACAS.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    I've started Employment Tribunal proceedings a couple of times. :/

One of them was for discrimination. Both were under the previous rules and both were settled out of court.

Employers know when they are crossing the line but they assume they will get away with it. They really, really don't want a judgement against them branding them as abusive.

The new rules have shifted things in favour of the employer. It's a serious undertaking now and the courts do not like to find an employer abusive.
  • higgyjig
    higgyjig Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I have union representation and ACAS now involved, but it is abusive to be on the receiving end of discrimination and glad to hear it is taken seriously.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.