If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How will income affect housing benefit and council tax?

SystemSystem Posts: 156 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask the Support To Work team questions about employment now.

Replies

• WindblowsWindblows Posts: 4Member Listener
    I started work back in March this year on a zero hours contract as a community care assistant using own car. The hours vary and some weeks have literally been zero. However last month my pay was bumped up when they backed me because my hourly rate had been set to low. This caused the Housing benefit department to cancel my claim. It had already been a problem for them that I have 2 other very occasional jobs in research and education which pay me a higher hourly rate and like my main job can only notify payments retrospectively so at times it appears I earn above the rate considered in line with housing benefit need. I also receive a widows pension so I guess it is a narrow margin but this causes me distress especially as earlier on the letters declared potential repossession of my home from the council. 
    I also now get PIP instead of DLA but no mobility element and yet this is used to cover some of the expenses for my car that I need for the work I have taken on - which is a struggle itself often. 
    Do you happen to know if the average rate of income is considered when working out claims for housing benefit and council tax or is it a week by week calculation?   
  • Zaid_ScopeZaid_Scope Posts: 35Member, Community advisor Whisperer
    Hi @Windblows , thank you for your query. This is quite a complicated issue so one of our experts will be in touch with you tomorrow.

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• pia_scopepia_scope Posts: 16Member, Community advisor Whisperer
    Hi @Windblows
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your housing benefit. 
    Zero hours contracts can make it quite complicated when it comes to calculating your entitlement, and as I don't know if you have provided full details of your earnings before your claim was cancelled could I suggest that you contact our Scope Helpline on 08088003333 in order for them to advise you further.

Thanks for contacting us and I hope your issue will be resolved.
    All the best!

Pia
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Sign in or join us to comment.