Car insurance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Car insurance

RooPoo
RooPoo Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone. 
I'm 36 years old and have held a full driving licence for ten years yet my insurance premiums do not reflect this. Last time I renewed I was told it was because I don't work. This doesn't seem fair to me. Does anyone have any experience they can pass on to me? 
Thanks in advance, Roo

Comments

• RooPoo
    Ps. I'm a double amputee and I'm registered as severely disabled. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Insurance companies are not allowed to discriminate againt you because you are diabled.Most now have a section for not working due to disability. Have you tried using the comparison sites ? There are a few things that are worth trying. Do you insure full comp ? do you have a second driver ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • RooPoo
    Thanks for your reply. I don't have a second driver and I always go for the cheapest option - strangely enough fully comp is sometimes cheaper than third party fire and theft. 
    The last time I was quoted I was literally told it was high because I don't work. So really I was wondering if anyone had had any specific experience with specific insurance companies. 
    Thanks
  • RooPoo
    And with the comparison websites I hadn't noticed a "disabled" option. Although I haven't looked recently.  
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Full comp is now usually the cheapest option. If I add my partner to my policy it can make a difference. You could try opting for a higher excess or not protecting your NC.
    Take some time and look at the comparison sites

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Max_Bell
    Max_Bell Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Hi folks, 

You can find out more information about Scope's work about insurance here;  https://www.scope.org.uk/get-involved/campaigns/extra-costs/insurance. We'd love to hear your stories so we can keep pushing government and business to make their products more accessible for disabled people and their families.

We also offer specific advice around car insurance and your legal rights at the following link too; https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/choosing-insurance#car-insurance.

I hope you find the above resources useful. You can also contact the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 or at helpline@scope.org.uk. If you have any questions, please also feel free to contact myself at max.bell@scope.org.uk 

Many thanks, 

Max Bell.
    Scope.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.