If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Workplace Bullying

SystemSystem Posts: 360 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: tiny bit of hearing and meeting/interacting with new people.

Replies

• D0gL0ver4evaD0gL0ver4eva Posts: 4Member Listener
    Hello scope, i am deaf in both ears with only 2-3% of hearing, i wear hearing aids all the time, but i lip read 100%. I had meningitis when i was a baby and it was hell going through infant to primary to secondary schools, i was bullied. i worked for a company who also had employees bully me, if anyone experience what i have been through, drop me a line, we can help each other, i have had loads of counselling but don't work, talking to people who have gone through the bullying knows what they have experienced. Thanks for your time. 
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,361Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @D0gL0ver4eva I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with bullying.  You say a company you worked for, do you no longer work for them?

How was your bullying dealt with? Were your employers supportive?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
    Hi Sam, i was paid money not to tell back in 2004, but why should I not open up to people who have been bullied in the workplace over their disability.I worked for this company for 14 years, then things changed, the chargehand and other workers were bullying me over my hearing, so i would say they were about 9 people against to 1 ( myself )  I had a great team of union people who put my case though the courts and yes, i won, it wasn't about the money. it was the principal of letting others know how the LAW stands in a  work whether you have a disability or not, my employers let me down, i no longer work for them, i have move since then. I am still coming to terms about what happened psychologically , can you imagine what i would be like trying to hold down a good job, as i am no longer working, i have no confidence, i have had the maximum counselling, doesn't work in my opinion, that is why i opened up to SCOPE.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 692 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 692 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,858Member Disability Gamechanger
    @D0gL0ver4eva, I'm so sorry to hear about your appalling experiences in your workplace, and I really hope you can find support within the Online Community. If you feel like you'd benefit from talking more about your experiences, do feel free to do so here.

Hope this finds you on a good day! 
    Hi PippaScope, It has been a pleasure to share my experience, of being bullied in the workplace. however, the one thing that they did after paying me to keep my mouth shut, was they sacked me, 13 years working for a company that i done every overtime they threw at me, i even did 12 hour shifts for them. But what i didn't understand was, after they sacked me, they won an award for Investors in People, especially disabled people, i could not say a word, but what can i do ? 
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,858Member Disability Gamechanger
    That's almost unbelievable that they won an award after your experience, @D0gL0ver4eva! Just goes to show how far we still have to go in improving access to work/employers' understanding of disability!
    I was not wary at the time why they paid me to keep my mouth shut, but looking back on what they achieved after i left, and would they do the same again to keep that award !! Karma works in mysterious ways, god help them !! 
  • ClydeBuiltClydeBuilt Posts: 41Member Connected
    I was tiny as a kid, so took some serious beatings and bullying, changed at secondary school witha half brick in my school bag.I turned into a veritable Jack Russell, still its not always a good thing as I get older mate.

For you? Tell the world. That money was conscience money for them, hush money to protect them. You do what you feel and more power to you!
Sign in or join us to comment.