Reasonable adjustment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable adjustment

Wingcom
Wingcom Community member Posts: 3 Connected
hi, I have worked for my current employer for over a year. I was upfront with them about my disability and was told that they would send in a team of people to adapt the building and do whatever else was needed. They are a big multi-national so why would I not believe it? However, the reality has been very different. I had an assessment in November 2016, where among other things they said the main building doors and 2 internal doors needed powered opening to allow my access in my powered wheelchair. I was told that it would be sorted out and true enough a few months later a quote was obtained. It was a lot of money, so they decided they needed more quotes. They obtained one more after another few months, and the difference to the first quote was minimal. After I heard nothing for a couple more months I chased it and was told I had to submit a form for the senior leadership team to authorise spending. I did that, it was authorised, then another couple of months up to last week, I chased again. I’m now told I need to submit a “white paper”. I don’t want to appear paranoid but it feels like I’m having more and more hurdles put in my way, one at a time, rather than anyone saying here’s the process, follow it. My question is, when does become unreasonable? Can they keep doing this and claim that they are trying to help? My big concern is that any complaint will result in my short career with them being over, despite all their inclusive rhetoric. Unfortunately, this isn’t my first experience of this and I’m finding it a real drain on my confidence which also ruins my chances at this confidence driven company. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place, how do I unblock things?

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    It became unreasonable the moment they insisted that it was you who had to do something @Wingcom .

You don't have to be involved at all. They are obviously resisting.

How far are you willing to take matters though? To escalate matters the next step would be to contact ACAS.

The question is, can you carry on as it is? If yes, then are you prepared to risk your employment? If not then you have nothing to lose.

If you escalated matters then I would expect you would be called into a meeting with management and they will suggest a Settlement Agreement. They would be buying your silence and removal from the workplace.
  • Wingcom
    Wingcom Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Thanks @Markmywords you’ve just about confirmed what I already knew. I’ve been down this track all along and then I had A County Council lie to ACAS to save just £3k of their £1billion budget! That was settled 2 weeks before the tribunal date, but then that was rubbish Unison solicitors pulling the rug from under me. Funnily enough the solicitor ended up working for another County Council soon after! I know the system is weighted against us, so didn’t know if I can be doing with the stress of it all again. I don’t believe I’m here again, when all I want to do is provide for my family. Has anyone ever got their local MP involved and did that carry any weight?
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Oh I know where you're coming from. Two Tribunal starts and three Settlement Agreements for me. One of mine was public sector too but I'll leave it there as there is a gagging clause in every one. :/

I've found the public sector to be just as abusive as the private sector but they are worse as they pretend to be otherwise.

Tribunal awards are so low that a person is no better off.than taking their payoff :(
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wingcom,

I'm so sorry you've had to go to such lengths just to have your needs met, when, as you've said, all you want to do is work and support your family.

You might find the 'Advice And Support' section of the EASS Website useful in providing further information to help you make your case, and this Equality And Human Rights Commission website has details on what you can do if you've faced discrimination in employment.

Do keep us updated and let us know if we can help further!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.