Grants with moving house — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grants with moving house

jackiewackie
jackiewackie Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi

Son is 16 years old and has mobility issues and we are thinking of moving house where there is a downstairs bedroom and a wet room already supplied with ramps from the front door and the bedroom so no stairs involved for him.

We have looked into adaptions for him upstairs bathroom and toilet needs through ot and the local council but due to plumbing issues it wouldn't of worked. With the disability grant that we could of had would that work with moving as we are moving to help him so he can live independently and get in and out of house on his own.

Many thanks 

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @jackiewackie,

A Disabled Facilities Grant can't be used for this purpose but you should speak to your council to see if they can offer a Relocation Grant. Not every council does and the amount available will vary but it's worth exploring. Once in the new property there could then be potential for a DFG to pay for any aids or adaptations specific to your son's needs.

I hope this has been helpful and please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • jackiewackie
    jackiewackie Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thanks Debbie.

I have emailed the OT and she emailed the local housing officer. I did see at the local council website that they do offer this grant called disabled persons relocation assistance.
    By the ot's email she reckons we may have a chance as it will suit his needs.
    We have even put our house on the market yet but it's quite daunting but it will make my life more easier and his!

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @jackiewackie,

This is really great news! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. It sounds like this will really help you get what you need for your son. Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on. I'm really keen to hear the outcome!

Well done and good luck!

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.