Visual and hearing impairments
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Check you're happy with the email notifications you're receiving.
• Have a look at how the community will be changing its appearance.
• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Hello - advice sought re legal assistance

fee24fee24 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello there
I'm Scottish, age 52 and visually impaired amongst other numerous health issues. I am currently finding paperwork extremely difficult despite magnifiers and very strong near glasses and I require regular eye injections every 2 months tomprevent blindness. I had been hoping to find someone to help me with a protracted legal case when I moved back to Scotland from London last year, but so far there is absolutely nothing available unless I pay someone privately. How does anyone who is blind get divorced in this country..??

I'm hoping to find support/advice in here.

Many thanks for reading.

Best wishes



  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 6,264 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fee24

    Good evening & welcome onboard.

    I have googled hopefully some help & support for you !!

    I have just given the website a run for you & it looks ideal for you !!!!

    Please please let me know if you encounter any problems ??????
  • fee24fee24 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Steve 
    Sadly there are no law centres on this list in Scotland. The trouble for me has been exacerbated by the fact my issue is from when I resided in England, but I now reside in Scotland ... and then there is the huge amount of time that's passed (16 years!) on top of my sight impairment which has been worsening since the issue arose. I need a family lawyer with knowledge of both Scots and English law who can assist with getting me advocacy/admin support at home - previous lawyers have not adhered to reasonable adjustment re font size and preferred communication, and have charged me a fortune without bill itemisation for their time, which due to my poor eyesight meant I needed many more calls than most people. I now struggle just to find paperwork that's been poorly filed over 16 years and after 2 house moves last year. I cannot see any way forward as I now live in a rural part of Scotland and feel I will die before this divorce is finally sorted out. My mental health is currently suffering as I'm receiving quite threatening letters from the court in Reading, England, and the ex's solicitor which I cannot adequately respond to - a fully sighted person would struggle with the ridiculous Schedule E form plus 16 years of paperwork with which to calculate income and expenditure. I also must endure eye injections every month which ironically are currently performed in London as I cannot, as yet, access this healthcare in Scotland. 

    I am utterly exhausted.

    Thanks for trying to help.

    Best wishes

  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fee24
    It might be worth you getting in touch with the RNIB, you can contact them on the helpline at 0303 123 9999 or by email at [email protected]
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 6,264 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fee24

    I'm so sorry that there is nothing in that info.

    I didn't realise that you where back in scotland.

    Do you want me too dig a bit further on the internet for you ???
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 6,264 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fee24

    I have just googled it for you &  I have put the link for rnib.

    I hope that this is ok ???
  • fee24fee24 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks, Steve, this is helpful. Any further digging on the internet would be greatly appreciated too.
    Best, Fee
Sign in or join us to comment.