Getting a new job after failed probation period — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting a new job after failed probation period

the_velvet_girl
the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
edited October 2017 in Work and employment
I recently found out I failed my probation period at work and my job will finish at the end of the month. The job was way above my knowledge and skill level and I really struggled with the demands of the role. I'm very worried about how I'm going to get another job as I think any future employer will be concerned by the fact I didn't pass my probation. Do you have any tips as to how I can explain this on my C.V and at interviews if I am lucky enough to get any?
My boss has stated she will have to mention the amount of time off I've had in a reference. I've had a lot of time off sick and also unpaid leave to care for a relative. I'm now worried prospective employers might think I'm unreliable and not employ me when they see that on a reference.

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    You haven't failed anything @the_velvet_girl !

It is the recruiter's place to match an applicant's capabilities to the needs of the organisation. They clearly did not do this to an adequate standard. How could you know the details of their needs before you started? I have no doubt you were open and honest.

How does this sound? "It became apparent only with time that the role was not a good match to my skills and experience. Although I gave my best efforts to adapting to it, it would have taken too long."

A reference is not likely to be asked for unless you have been already been successful.
    Your boss is not being honest. She is not obliged to put anything specific in a reference. There is no obligation even to give one.

Don't bring up your time off unless a new employer does as it will sound like you expect it to happen again. If they bring it up then explain it and tell them whether it will be a problem in the future.

I don't think you'll have a problem. In the meantime you might consider some voluntary work which would give you an independent reference source.
  • the_velvet_girl
    That sounds like a good way of wording it! Thanks very much. I'd love to do some voluntary work but I really need to find paid work asap. I wouldn't want to mess voluntary organisations about by quitting after a short period of time. I can't even commit to a minimum time period as I don't know when or if I will get a new job.
  • RSISolutions
    RSISolutions Community member Posts: 128 Courageous
    Most employers don't give a personal reference these days. They say when you started, when you finished and what your job title is and that is it.

Many voluntary organisations don't mind if you quit after a short period of time. They are grateful for anything that you can give.

Everyone is unique and has something to offer, and that includes you. Change your mindset and see positivism in every situation. Failure isn't failure, it's a stepping stone to success. You learnt something which will help you in the next stage of your life. 

Consider applying for jobs 5 days a week and do one day a week of voluntary work. Take one day off to rest and have fun. That way you have something to put on your CV. 
  • Rian_Alumni
    Rian_Alumni Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    @the_velvet_girl

I am sorry to hear you did not pass your probation, however you do not need to worry as us here at Support to Work will help you rebuild your confidence. Give you tips and advice on what is the best way to disclose your time off.

so please go to https://www.scope.org.uk/support/services/employment/support-to-work-1
    so we are able to give you support and advice once you feel you are ready to get back into work.

Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • RSISolutions
    Dear @rian_scope what is the equivalent of this service in Scotland please?
  • Rian_Alumni
    @RSISolutions Good morning

I am aware of capability Scotland who may be able to offer the same service to residents in scotland please find the link below:

http://www.capability-scotland.org.uk/

Thank you and i hope you find this useful.
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
  • the_velvet_girl
    Thanks RSISolutions! I'm going to phone round some local charities when I finish work at the end of the month to see if they need any temporary volunteers. I'm feeling a bit more positive and less anxious today. It was a shock to be told my employment was being terminated! I knew things weren't going well but I thought I might have been offered redeployment elsewhere in the organisation in an easier role but there are not any other suitable posts just now.
  • the_velvet_girl
    I'll have a look at the Capability Scotland website
  • RSISolutions
    Take heart. It's horrible when these things happen. But it doesn't define you. Your life is full of possibilities and options. You are full of talents and have lots to offer. Pick yourself up, dust your self down and continue with vigor and purpose. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @the_velvet_girl

As you can only have been at this job a short while, you could just leave it off your CV.  That's what people tend to do.  A friend of mine failed her probation, left the job off her CV and found another job.

• paisleybud
    paisleybud Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I used to work for Social Work for over 27years, had to give it up due to health, went back to work in Jan which was on. Work trial scheme, employer said she would look at getting more funding,which she didn't do and then didn't come or say to me on my last day, I am still trying to find out what I did wrong, I think it's hard to get another job due to disability and age.
  • Rian_Alumni
    edited December 2017
    @the_velvet_girl and @Matilda 

I would not advise to leaving your work history off your CV as it may prove vital to a role you are applying to. 

I would advise to have an additional information element on your CV and explain what has happened in your previous role or you could wait until references are required when you are offered a new role and explain what has happened in your current position.

Employers can be more understanding than you think and it is more likely to have a better result if you be truthful with your new employer.
    Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.