COT3 Settlement Agreement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

COT3 Settlement Agreement

Options
RSISolutions
RSISolutions Community member Posts: 128 Courageous
What should a disabled employee specifically look for in a settlement agreement? 

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    Settlement Agreements (SA)
    • All monies due up to the "Settlement Date" including salary, overtime, pay in lieu of owed holidays/perks (non-negotiable.)

• Compensation for loss of employment (negotiable)

• All costs, such as the solicitor and travel to/from same (non-negotiable.)

• A official letter of reference signed by an appropriate company officer and on headed paper drafted by the employee (non-negotiable.)

• A gagging clause that is equal to both parties such that it can be admitted that there is an SA but its terms are confidential. (non-negotiable.)

• All usual standard terms of an SA such as "full and final settlement."

Seeing a solicitor is compulsory but they must be skilled and experienced in this specific field !

If an employer has been so inappropriate as to have caused an SA to be offered then expect them to be incompetent and inappropriate during negotiations.
    I have had calls at home bypassing the solicitor so the company owner could scream at me and call me an extortionist !

If an SA is even suggested by an employer;
    • Stop talking immediately and put it in the hands of a good solicitor.
    • Do not listen to any suggestions from the employer. Especially if it is that "they have used XYZ Solicitors in the past."
    • Ignore any document given to you by the employer. Your solicitor will do the drafting.
    • It is not compulsory. Ask your solicitor if the offered terms are better than a Tribunal is likely to offer.

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi @RSISolutions,

Hopefully some other members of the community will be able to share their experiences and help you out with this. In the meantime, in case you haven't seen these already, there's some more information on settlement agreements on this Citizens Advice page (about halfway down). There's also some information specifically about COT 3 agreements on this page.

Hope this helps!
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    The terms an employee should seek ought to be the same for an informal SA or a formal SA where they have already gone to ACAS (COT3.)

I would strongly recommend seeing a solicitor even though it's not compulsory when going to ACAS (COT3) prior to Tribunal.

I second @PippaScope 's advice to read up first.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.