Temporarily helpless — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Temporarily helpless

Options
Lynne53
Lynne53 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
I have osteoarthritis in most of my joints and spine plus other spinal problems. I have always managed and recovered well from multiple surgeries. I had an ankle fusion on 4th October and can't put any weight on it for weeks.  I suddenly feel my age and very vulnerable. Hospital wasn't pleasant, not enough staff meant that the help just wasn't there and I did what I always do, get on with it myself,but that led to me almost falling and it turned into an official incident. Now at home but totally dependent on my husband.  I'm writing this not to have a moan or look for sympathy but to say I truly appreciate now the way I was before. I know how awful it feels to be helpless and vulnerable and if I didn't appreciate my reasons to be cheerful before I do now.

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    It's good that you have someone to help. Some of us aren't so lucky.

It's difficult trying to cope with failing mobility but there are ways round it. Maybe you could look into a mobility scooter or, though I appreciate most people hate the idea, even a wheelchair. It is possible to rent wheelchairs for 2-3 months which may be all you need, Hopefully your health will improve and you will get some of the mobility back.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.