If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

claiming carers , im not sure...

we have been awarded DLA on behalf of my 15-year-old granddaughter who lives with us, I am her only carer, my husband is on ESA income-related benefit for COPD , should I claim carers allowance? 


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,687Member Pioneering
    Hi jackiep, 

    If you look after her for 35 hours a week or more then yes you can claim Carer's Allowance. There is also a £116 earnings from employment limit to claim CA. I know this doesn't apply to you now if your husband is getting IR ESA but just something to think about in the future when/if you start work.
    You will be entitled to Carer's Allowance of £62.70 a week. Your husband's IR ESA will be reduced leaving you £34.95 a week better off overall. 

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.