Have I actually won my ESA tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have I actually won my ESA tribunal?

Options
westy2112
westy2112 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi
I was taken off esa in march and after an agonising 7 month wait, the tribunal took 10 minutes to set aside the decision. However, it says on the decision notice "The matter is now remitted to the secretary of state to make a final decision upon entitlement to esa".
Im a bit confused by this - can anyone shed some light please? 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @westy2112 and welcome to the community.

I have looked this up and it seems the tribunal only decides if the individual meets the requirement for ESA, it is then up to the DWP to decide on other issues for example: 

Whether he meets the income/contribution conditons
    What his weekly entitlement should be and whether any premiums apply
    Whether he satisfies the habitual residence test
    When the assessment phase ends from
    What arrears are due to him and whether any offet needs to be applied
    etc etc.

Source: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11914/

So it sounds like you have won, it is now down to the DWP to sort out the details.

@BenefitsTrainingCo can you please confirm the above is right, or anything else that @westy2112 needs to be aware off?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• westy2112
    Options
    Thanks for the answer. If it helps I have been on esa (or equivalent) for the past 10 years and at time of earlier decision was receiving about £102 per week. I had no idea the money that has been deducted could be repaid. If my experience can be of any help to others please let me know. Im new to site and navigating as best I can at the mo
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @westy2112,

It can take a while to get used to the community as it is large. If you scroll to the bottom you will see a list of all our discussion groups separated into different categories.

Don't worry too much about posting in the wrong place though, staff can move your post to a more appropriate group if they feel it will help you to get a better response.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• westy2112
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.