Why do ESA and PIP both do a face to face interview/assess.Surely cheaper to communicate and save mo — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why do ESA and PIP both do a face to face interview/assess.Surely cheaper to communicate and save mo

Sammorton1234
Sammorton1234 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Why don't DWP save money by only doing ONE face to face covering a persons disabilities etc instead of seperate one for ESA claim then another for PIP review??Communication definetly not within DWP,waste of time and lots of money too.Also why does report saying ZERO points awarded report nothing like what you told them at medical ass.face to face?So frustrating cause now going to take longer to appeal etc and skint but also feel it was a waste of time as total rubbish and lies i feel...Angry is understatement!

Comments

• Sammorton1234
    Rant over!sorry,thanks.x
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Hello @Sammorton1234 ,

Feel free to rant. :)

There are separate meetings because government departments just can't co-ordinate and also the meetings actually have different agendas unfortunately.

The government wants to reduce welfare at any cost but admitting that would be too unpopular so they manipulate their system quietly.

Most DWP reports are untrue in some way it seems. The more disabled a person is, the more outrageous the DWP's claims are.

They rely on people giving up and not wanting to fight them.

There is plenty of information here to help.

I've always believed that success is the best form of revenge. I gave them a good spanking for their behaviour in court  :)

I can't understand the civil servants who can sleep at night after going to work every day abusing vulnerable disabled people. Is the job worth becoming a monster?
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    They'd probably argue the criteria is different, which some of it is.

Can't understand why a face to face is needed full stop - you can't decide based on that 30 minutes - 1 hour how disabled someone really is.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every body I agree the comments made here.  I never fully understand the criteria for being disabled on these assessments.  Having been successful at last and given the correct level of benefit for ESA .  Every one is different have seen so many people in our community suffer.  It is going to change it must do especially last night if any body caught the news.  Labour has stopped the government implementing some of the Universal Credit rules.  I do think some time soon the government will have to decide what to about not only PIP but all benefits.  It is not working and not helping anybody.  I mean what does DWP stand for Disabled Wont Pay in my mind.  How can you see and know how a person is in hour.  In my case every two years the phone would ring and it is DWP some miserable bloke always on a Friday afternoon. Saying you don't fit in this benefit or looking at your benefit.  We have decided you need to sign on.  I am dumb founded overriding decisions that on appeal and me totally stunned.  Who has the power?  No one has that much power and I had to find a charity to assist me in going through it all again.  This after twenty years now on the support group but for how long.  By way met a lady who was volunteering last year with me.  Worked as a civil servant did not wish to discuss what department.  Had to leave on long term sick.  She let it slip it was for DWP and said it is terrible place to work.  Massive amounts of sickness and everybody especially those in the front line on the phones need therapy and counselling can not cope.  I said how long did you work not long I can not cope and get stressed.  I feel for all of you.  Well I said in a few words don't talk about it here because a lot of people will take it out on you.  Left after a couple weeks got another job.  In the end I wonder how people like that do sleep and they must suffer themselves.  If anybody looks at the benefits and works website, I recommend you do it really tells what the hell is going on.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi sammorton1234,

I agree with the comments about the assessments and I can't answer unfortunately. In the area where I work Maximus have the contract for ESA and Capita have the contract for PIP. It would be easier and presumably cheaper to have one assessment for both with the same company but we just have to work with the way things are.
    The important thing that claimants need to realise is that there is an independent appeal process and claimants should use it where necessary to prove their decisions wrong.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Sammorton1234
    Hi Lee,thanks for post and info and totally agree Tribuneral is best thing but my frustrations are the months of worry,filling forms and PIP stopped since March/April 2017 so major reduction in benefits and ESA cut too...Only backdated 3months...also previous award meant to go on until Dec.2017,how do they get away with assess.forms sent out to myfriend a YEAR TOO EARLY!Then PIP review refused and stoped 8/9 months before award meant to continue until...keep asking but never had an answer as of yet!So frustrating and stressful!x
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Any benefit can be reveiwed at any time.

Usually, a PIP decision letter contains the date that the award is until, as well as a date that you may be contacted from for re - assessment. This is usually a year in advance of the end date to allow time to process your renewal without it running out

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.