Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carer's Allowance

Kuldovu92Kuldovu92 Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, 
My brother has received a letter asking him to claim PIP as his DLA is ending. During the time it takes for his PIP to be set up (which could be months given how horrible most of the assessors are) will I still receive Carer's Allowance? I'm in the process of a mandatory reconsideration with my own PIP claim and I fully expect to have to go to tribunal due to the assessors report. This is my only source of income and I'm unable to work in any way at all. What are my options? I receive Income Support also.
Any help is appreciated! The way this system treats disabled people is appalling! Just looking for some reassurance.

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Community champion Posts: 5,259 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi

As I understand it, while your brothers claim is in payment you will still be able to receive carers . DLA should remain in payment until a PIP decision is made

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

Kuldovu92
    Kuldovu92,

As long as your brother's DLA continues until the PIP decision is made, AND he gets PIP daily living component, you'll be fine, and carer's allowance will continue, as will income support. Nothing stops during the process of claiming and assessing for PIP. 

DLA should end four weeks after the DLA pay day which follows the PIP decision (whether or not PIP is awarded). But then hopefully, PIP will be paid straight after that, so your CA and IS should continue.

The only exception to that is if your brother doesn't send the form back, or doesn't attend the medical - so keep to all deadlines, and be clear about what he needs to attend the medical (including asking for a home assessment if that is what he needs).

Of course the other problem is what PIP decision he will get. But for now, send in as much evidence as you can, and have a got with the PIP self-test so you can see what the questions on the PIP2 are driving at.  

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.