Advice required — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice required

Options
RiffRaffy88
RiffRaffy88 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been told that I have mild low frequency hearing loss. As I have trouble following conversations even in environments that are not very loud, would I benefit from using hearing aids? I also suffer with tinnitus 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi RifRaffy and welcome

I have similar and my wife suffers tinnitus, both of us benefit from hearing aids at times. However you should get a proper hearing check

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    Hi RiffRaffy88

It's very difficult to say without seeing your actual test results but I'd say it's definitely worth a conversation with your audiologist and probably a trial of hearing aids. If they don't work then you haven't lost anything but if they do then you can gain a lot. Hearing aids can be very effective at reducing tinnitus - both through bringing in external sounds and masking the tinnitus, and by making listening easier. This reduces the stress of having poorer hearing which often makes the tinnitus louder and more distressing.

If hearing aids aren't the best option for you then the audiologist can recommend some strategies to help manage your tinnitus better, and/or refer you to a Hearing Therapist for further advice on making the most of your hearing and the reducing the tinnitus. 

Let us know how it goes

Vicki

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.