Lies on our PIP assessment - son is a lower leg amputee — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lies on our PIP assessment - son is a lower leg amputee

Popey
Popey Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just had the dreaded envelope it's my sons pip assessmen back , we were turned down, he is 16 a lower leg amputee due to cancer. I have read the report and it is full of discrepancies, actually lies. She  have said that my son regularly catches a bus, he does not, my husband drives him everywhere, she said she examined him, she did not , she in fact said to my husband that I won't bother examining him .  She has not included the letters from the hospital at Stanmore which he visits regularly which is 70 miles away, she has not mentioned he has had 3 ops and will probably have more as he is still growing , she has said that he can walk 50 metres. We never said that.  We have rung the hospital and they say it is ridiculous that he has been turned down. What recourse do we have, how can they get away with all of the lies 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Popey and welcome

So sorry that your son is going through this
    Unfortunately this is not uncommon
    First thing to do is request a copy of the assessment report from the DWP, this will tell you the descriptors theat you need to challenge
    You have one month from the date of the decision letter to request a Mandatory reconsideration

Theere is plenty of info on here and on the CAB site, please have a read and come back with any questions

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry to hear this @Popeye, it must have been incredibly frustrating to open that letter and be confronted with this situation. 

As CR says, there are some great resources for appealing your decision. Scope provides this resource, and you might find this Citizens Advice information useful too. Keep us updated and let us know how you get on: we're all here to support you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.