How do a reduce the size of a PDF file on a MacBook Pro? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do a reduce the size of a PDF file on a MacBook Pro?

Options
Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
The file is a passport-size photo.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Matilda having looked around most solutions seem to involved getting other software. However there is a free resource, https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf which will do the process for you onlilne. If you rather not trust your document to an online compressor you can download the software for a free trial onto you computer. This may be best for one off or occassional documents.

Macs come with a basic compression program which may suit your need, see https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-zip-and-unzip-files-and-folders-on-a-mac-2260188

There are other compression programs, some of which are free, if neither of the above work for you let me know and I will list a few for you.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Matilda
    Options
    @Geoark

Thank you very much :).  I don't mind paying for software if necessary but first I'll try the Mac basic compression program.   I'll let you know either way.
  • Matilda
    Options
    @Geoark

Just an update.  I phoned Apple today who compressed the file for me.  It was quite a lengthy process.  I haven't uploaded it yet because it's for my online Blue Badge renewal which will take about half an hour to complete first.  If I can't locate the file to upload, then I'll phone Apple again.  At the same time I'll ask them to compress another doc that has to be uploaded and upload that, too.

Blue Badge renewal is almost more difficult and more stressful than going through the PIP process as far as Tribunal!  But I shall persevere no matter how long it takes.

There are some elderly people eligible for Blue Badges who have never even used a computer.  I wonder how they cope if application/renewal is only online in their area as it is in London.

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @matilda London is probably one of the best resourced places for access to the internet. Most council have tenant resource centres or provide some form of internet access in their offices. Most of the London housing associations have at least one room with internet access for tenants and can help with issues such as scanning documents. As well as community based internet access, libraries etc.

Similar resources should be available outside of London, though perhaps not in such abundance outside of large cities.

I agree with you though, not just for the elderly but other groups as well who may not be able to access the internet so well, especially with so much now going online.

I am glad to hear that you were able to get help with your documents.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.