Hi, my name is lottiekins! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is lottiekins!

lottiekins
lottiekins Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hello,

I am 29 and live with numerous health conditions that affect my mobility and ability to function. The biggest two are Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. 

I am currently looking for support dealing with the above, the benefit system and am about to hire a carer, so with that too!

Would be great to chat :)

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello lottiekins and welcome

We are here to support you in any way we can.
    Do you have any questions at the moment ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lottiekins
    lottiekins Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    The biggest issue at the moment is that I was due to have a PIP home assessment with capita on the 1st. I waited in with the person accompanying me, but nobody turned up. When I called to tell them at 11.15 (my appointment was for 10.30), they told me it had been changed to 11, and to wait in and then call the next day. I did so, but was told the assessor came and I wasn't in! I have been going round in circles with them - I have been ringing repeatedly for updates, my friend who accompanied me has called up independently to give them her side of the story, and letters have been sent from my GP and social worker, but they are still claiming I did not attend.

It is now being passed back to the DWP who have told me they are likely to cancel my claim.

If my PIP is stopped, I will be in serious financial difficulty, and I am petrified. I have a number of difficult health problems cropping up at the moment, and my father has just gone through cancer surgery, so neither him nor mum are working, which means I have no backup.

Is there any advice on what to do in this situation?! I feel so angry that there is no way of fighting your own corner when it comes to the benefits system - its a constant battle.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    this is a hard one to fight and win
    The DWP should write to you, giving you the opportunity to explain why you failed to attend
    However, they will nearly always take the word of their assessor and this will result in your claim being closed

Have you spoken to A DWP manager or just a phone operator ?
    If not then that is something you can try

It might be worth getting your local MP involved at this stage

I hope that one of the advisors will be able to give you some suggestions

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottiekins, welcome to the community!

I have a form of POTS myself, and have found the team at POTS UK to be absolutely brilliant in terms of information and support.

So sorry to hear about your assessment experience and that you've been penalised for something that isn't your fault. Glad that CR has provided some useful information above, and I hope it helps in terms of moving forwards. If there's anything we can support you with in the meantime, just let us know, and keep us updated! 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottiekins

A very very big welcome to you this evening.

Please please let me know if I can offer you help/support ??????

Thanks.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.