Disabled Article in the Guardian — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled Article in the Guardian

Options
the_velvet_girl
the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
I saw this article on the Guardian website. Although it's nothing new to people with disabilities, I think it's good to have the difficulties we face being highlighted in mainstream media. I particularly identified with Sam having to choose between painkillers and alertness.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/nov/15/stares-glares-internet-dating-the-harsh-realities-of-life-with-a-disability-diaries

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes, I know all to often what it's like to get home so exhausted that I can't even eat.
    My easy chair is my second bed too. :(

Anything I do at home I have to plan against my energy level. If I do any housework or cooking then I have to know I will be able to finish it and clean up afterwards. Often, washing-up has to be left for the next day though.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello@the velvet girl I have just seen this article and I think I can identify with it as many of our community do.  All the time I get people who do not understand.  Went out for a lunch the other day meeting some lads from my support group.  Never seen them eat so quick and gone in less than a half hour.  I am still eating slowly and when finishing struggling to get down the stairs.  Finding it hard to move around and being and having motobility problems.  Getting home a good hour and called in local shop and then home.  Knackering.  I am now just trying to comprehend now with a day and a bit to recover.  Yet the biggest hurdle of the year to come with masses and hordes attacking the stores.  Where is the sanity.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.