Hi failed pip assement and recived no points — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi failed pip assement and recived no points

maximusmeridius
maximusmeridius Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi i recently took my family member for a pip assesment and he recived no points even tho he uses an aid to move about can not cook or take his own meds can not travel on public transport due to behavour issues has epilepsey severe learning dificulties and a prolaps disc in his lower back and has been in special schools all his life lived on mental wards in hospitals lived in special care homes for the disabled can not fully dress him self can not go out alone has to be phisically helped in and out of the shower and even soils him self from time to time and can not manage his daily affares or budget and is totally disabled and with medical records to prove it he was born with brain damage threw substance abuse and was premeture and has had a terrible life and was awarded DLA for life as a child. the form stated all this information  and in how your sickness affects you also.and to the assesor in the interview me as his carer answered all the questions as he is not very good at interacting with people and can lose control if put under pressure . Now the assesment came back like they where talking about the wrong person and scored no points what so ever when the answers to the questions should of got high points in every catagory . He can not cook a meal for him self .or wash properly he can not manage his treatments or care or travel alone or make decisions and can be dangerous to him self and others and they said there was nothing wrong with him and that in there opinun he could do every last 1 of these things and did not qualify for pip it almost feels like they are talking about the wrong person they even said he walked out with a swagger the man uses a stick and can not walk more than 10 feet without agony and having to stop . We are at a total loss and do not understand how he can get no points when he clearly and on paper can not do any of these things he has now gone in to a deppression and his siezures have got worse and the whole family are having a terrible time we are going to ask for reconcideration on the grounds that we have stated on the forms he can not do any of this stuff stuff from day to day and they have ignored everything that has been put down on the form and to the assesor and by the doctor and gave un fair point score . Thanks for your time any help or advice would be great .regards 

Comments

• Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    @ maximusmeridius. It sounds to me as though the assessment carried out on your Friend was unfit for purpose. Make sure you have all the paperwork from the assessment, and the statement of reason from the Decision Maker. If I were you I would write a complaint to the body who runs the assessments in your area, send recorded, keep copies. Get the MR in , again in writing, and copies of every bit of eveidence your Friend can get hold of. Get in touch with your MP, and get them on the case too. Seek help from a qualified benefits adviser ( here on Scope there are plenty). Keep on at them, don't fade into the background, and don't let them get away with not doing their job properly. Gosh this makes me so angry. Let us know how it goes , Good Luck.
  • maximusmeridius
    Can you point me in the right direction of a good benifits advisor please justice 
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    I am sure if you ask the admins on here they can help. Scope has it's own benefits advisers. I am just a poster speaking from personal experience :-) You may want to take a look at my blog on here though? Looping the Loop. It has a link to my book( with kind permission of Scope).

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @maximusmeridius

It is possible that the DWP were looking at another person's report!  This has happened before, so phone DWP and ask them to check.

You can post in Ask a benefits advisor category on Scope Community where there are benefits experts.
  • valgibbs7
    valgibbs7 Community member Posts: 3 Listener

maximusmeridius said:

Hi i recently took my family member for a pip assesment and he recived no points even tho he uses an aid to move about can not cook or take his own meds can not travel on public transport due to behavour issues has epilepsey severe learning dificulties and a prolaps disc in his lower back and has been in special schools all his life lived on mental wards in hospitals lived in special care homes for the disabled can not fully dress him self can not go out alone has to be phisically helped in and out of the shower and even soils him self from time to time and can not manage his daily affares or budget and is totally disabled and with medical records to prove it he was born with brain damage threw substance abuse and was premeture and has had a terrible life and was awarded DLA for life as a child. the form stated all this information  and in how your sickness affects you also.and to the assesor in the interview me as his carer answered all the questions as he is not very good at interacting with people and can lose control if put under pressure . Now the assesment came back like they where talking about the wrong person and scored no points what so ever when the answers to the questions should of got high points in every catagory . He can not cook a meal for him self .or wash properly he can not manage his treatments or care or travel alone or make decisions and can be dangerous to him self and others and they said there was nothing wrong with him and that in there opinun he could do every last 1 of these things and did not qualify for pip it almost feels like they are talking about the wrong person they even said he walked out with a swagger the man uses a stick and can not walk more than 10 feet without agony and having to stop . We are at a total loss and do not understand how he can get no points when he clearly and on paper can not do any of these things he has now gone in to a deppression and his siezures have got worse and the whole family are having a terrible time we are going to ask for reconcideration on the grounds that we have stated on the forms he can not do any of this stuff stuff from day to day and they have ignored everything that has been put down on the form and to the assesor and by the doctor and gave un fair point score . Thanks for your time any help or advice would be great .regards 
  • valgibbs7
    valgibbs7 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi im sorry to here your story. But you need to appeal the decision. Hallf of anyone going for assessment is automatically turnd down.62% of people who appeal are excecpted and get full pip .i saw this on a email i subscribe to wwp site .good luck. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maximusmeridius, so sorry to hear about your recent PIP experience: it certainly sounds like your family member is entitled to support. Have you begun the appeals process? Scope's information on appealing a DWP decision is a good place to start in terms of finding out about how the process works.

Do keep us updated and let us know how you get on: unfortunately there are many others who have been in similar positions, but who will all now be cheering you on!
  • maximusmeridius
    Hi guys it went to concideration and took 2 weeks and he got full award back on high rate everything for 5 years . Without even an appoligy its a cull designed for the 1s not strong enough to fight it thanks for your advice .regards 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for letting us know, great result.
    You should still make a complaint to the assessment provider and the DWP as this kind of thing should not happen

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @maximusmeridius

Really pleased for you.

"Cull" is a very accurate term to use for the way the DWP conduct the PIP process!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.