If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance

JanetteVJanetteV Posts: 1Member Listener
edited November 2017 in Carer's allowance
Hi do you know if I claim carers allowance for my dad which I can , would this affect his other benefits?

Replies

• Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 3,598Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @JanetteV, and welcome to the community!

According to this Carers UK source, a person can claim Carers' Allowance without this affecting any PIP entitlement. This website on Carers Allowance also gives detail on how ESA could potentially be affected.

If in doubt, you could also try our online benefits calculator to try and gain a clearer idea of what you may be entitled to. Hope this helps!
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,366Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hi JanetteV - the information given by Pippa above is very helpful. We can give you a more detailed answer if you can supply us with some more information. It  would be very helpful to know: how old is your dad? What benefits is he receiving? There are some circumstances in which you getting Carers Allowance might affect any means tested benefits he gets, IF he gets something called the severe disability premium included in his pension guarantee credit, housing benefit, or ESA. If you can give us some more info about you both, then we can give you an exact answer to your question. Alternatively, you can run your dad's circumstances through the benefits calculator and that will also give you a good idea. i hope this is helpful, but do get back to us.

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Will Hadwen
    Lee Kempson
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

Sign in or join us to comment.