SHOPPING DAYS FOR THE DISABLED — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SHOPPING DAYS FOR THE DISABLED

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello everybody I know it is coming the C word as I call it not long about a month away.  Already driving myself into a anxiety state.  Went shopping I thought be OK.  Found it hell just to stock up.  Hordes and it only a month a way.  Went to discount shop and even that loads of people.  Got home and just thought why not have days for disabled shopping.  Will have to survive till weekend and live on what I have.  Come Monday I will have to get up crack of dawn to fill up freezer and fridge.  Worry with cold weather setting in.  The shops open late because there is a need well even disabled have needs.  Must be some changes.  I know am going to avoid the big shops because it is too much.  Also they play the music all the time.  I spoke to a manager in one of the discount stores no music great I said.  That is because we have to pay for it he replied.  Anyway now to try again Monday.
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a great idea, @thespiceman. I'm a wheelchair user and it's like playing human bowling trying to get around at this time of year!

Is there anything else besides what you've already mentioned that you'd change to make it more accessible? It's interesting to hear about! 
  • thespiceman
    Hello@PippaScope Thank you reply.  Well I think why not stores for the disabled.  Must be some created one day.  I know the shelves and displays are too high.  Even if you are not a wheelchair user.  Most discount stores at eye level but eventually how does someone like a wheelchair user manage.  I am often around and see many of our community struggle get annoyed with the layout of stores.    I am often asked can you help me sir or mate need this and that.  Yet service staff stocking shelves nearby.  One final point went to a large store recently have bar code reader which I use.  I candidly expressed my views on the store because I know and have met many of our community who can not and do find it hard to deal with money.  The bar coding machine helps.  Also stated why I use in their facebook page a while ago.  Problem is it is too big and my feet and legs really hurt so I avoid that store and too far away.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Geniedebs
    Geniedebs Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    I would like to see more seating in stores and in shopping centres. I once went to a shopping complex in Stratford, London. Never again. It was too far for me to walk from the station( I do not drive) and that was before I even got to the shops! My disability is of a mobile kind and my ability to get around\stand is decreasing as I age.

I do not like to use online shopping as I like to see, touch and smell gifts before buying. Also there is online security.

Why are buildings so large these days and that includes hospitals.
  • Boychris
    Boychris Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi everyone, well I hate going to shop during the Christmas build up, I went to a shopping centre two weeks ago, parked okay got my wheelchair out, my carer and i went off, i went to a card shop, and the first person i came across was a woman aged about 30 and she stood next to me whilst i was looking at cards, i asked her politely  if i could pass her her reply, was, "F****** people like you should not be allowed in the shopping centre during busy periods" well i was gob smacked and just said quite loudly, What gave her the right to open her mouth with Discrimiating comments i have the same rights as everyone else to go where i wish in my wheelchair, You are not the Queen are you. and left her standing there red-faced whilst others around her laughed.
    But i can always remember a shopping centre near where i once lived opened up late one evening for disabled customers only, this was great i wished that others would do so now.
  • Geniedebs
    Geniedebs Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Boychris. I also remember a shopping evening for disabled. Also, if memory serves me, the same for those with autism, where there was no loud music.
  • thespiceman
    Hello@Geniedebs thank you for comments.  I noted on the news recently this story that no one likes the layout of most stores.  I agree should be seating and also people who request it a map of the store.  Stating where everything is laid out.  I know that they have over head banners stating every thing.  Sometimes it is too much.  I always have a plan in my head for most stores but they keep moving stuff.  The reason you shop is the following is to make money for the store.  I had a long time ago ran a business.  Studied the reasons why people shop.  From the very start you shop the design of the store is to get you buying.  Wide entrance and then hitting the vegetables and fruit at the entrance.  That is to slow you down.  Certain colourful items and discounts always on the left of most aisles.  This is because most people are right handed and a survey says that most people walk into a store and turn left.  Also at the end of all aisles are BOGOF.  Buy one get one free and offers.  Also note never go shopping with out a list plus people who do not will buy these offers.  Note always no clocks in stores and things like treats at end of shop.  Inticing the shopper.  Everyday items like eggs and milk near bread and other everyday items.  This is because you will have mind set to get bread, milk and eggs end up wandering round getting other stuff.  Hope this helps anybody.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello@Boychris I am sorry you have a bad experience in shopping.  I get so annoyed with we as a community get people like that.  I stopped going to local shop and also a another shop because I would get short changed and make a fool of by people who see me as an idiot.  I had it a few times this people shouting at me and rushing me trying to pack shopping.  Well I dropped the whole lot including eggs and tins because I was getting rushed.  In the days when they overcharged for you buying a flimsy plastic bag.  I once lived in an area where I helped a few of our community go shopping.  I had a car and take those shopping.  Unfortunately I had to stop this because I moved away.  I wish there was more understanding, patience and tolerance.  I have to be aware of those who use me.  As my experience on my item I sent in Stranger Danger.
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.