pip - mobility element reduced to standard rate. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip - mobility element reduced to standard rate.

Options
jacquijohn
jacquijohn Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi 
I have just received my pip decision and have had my mobility element reduced to standard rate. This was based on the fact that according to the assessor I can walk ( using walls and doors ) 12 meters to the bathroom therefore this is considered a total distance of 24 meters.  However the assessor did not observe me walking to the bathroom but just paced out the distance and estimated it ( it is in fact 10 meters). And obviously I rest when I get there. Is this as rediculous as it sounds to me or am I missing the point. I'm totally confused. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello jacquijohn and welcome

This is both ridiculous and common

If that is the stated reason then you have good grounds for appeal.
    Any walking distance has to be carried out safely, reliably, to an acceptable standard  and repeatedly. Using walls and doors for support suggests neither safely, or to an acceptable standard and with the obvious rest after 10-12m repeatability comes into question

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jacquijohn, and welcome! So sorry to hear this; as CR says, you have good grounds for appeal. Is this something you have considered? If so, there's some great advice on appealing a DWP decision that you may like to read.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.