Home Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home Assessment

debcush
debcush Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have a home assessment on Thursday and I’m worried sick! I was an original “DLA for life”. I have numerous conditions such as, depression, diabetes, oesteoporosis, arthritis, diabetes neuropathy, diabetic rhetreopathy, growths in thyroid, fibromyalgia.....My husband has had to reduce his hours at work to care for me and he will be there on the day. Would he be allowed to take notes? Can we ask for the assessors profession including area of expertise? Any other pointers or advice would be welcomed.

Comments

• matthew27
    matthew27 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    i had this happen  too

atos are a nightmare  hate to say
    you my have other company come depends where you live

just tell them all bad points of conditions  and hit home how bad it is
    I made mistake of telling them my good days  dont do that  
    they will use that against your claim

all the best
    angela
  • debcush
    debcush Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Angela.....do they make you do things to assess you eg walk, get items etc? I usually have someone come clean for me, should I cancel them so that the assessor sees the house as it would be if I didn’t have help? 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck with your upcoming assessment, @debcush!

Scope have some useful PIP advice you might like to read, as it will be applicable to home assessments too. I'm sure your husband will be allowed to take notes, but there's no harm in confirming this on the day: it's great that you'll have somebody there to support you. Try not to worry: keep us updated and we'll do what we can to support you, regardless of the outcome!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    debcush said:
    Thanks Angela.....do they make you do things to assess you eg walk, get items etc? I usually have someone come clean for me, should I cancel them so that the assessor sees the house as it would be if I didn’t have help? 

It is your home and no one can make you do anything that will cause you severe pain or discomfort. If you do refuse any of the physical tests, which aren't many, then you must explain your reason for refusing. The assessment can take place in any room of your choosing, even the bedroom if you would normally be in bed at that time. The assessor has no right to explore your home. You should make no special effort on the day, keep to your routine, take your meds as you normally do. You do not even need to be dressed if that would not be in your normal daily schedule
    Your husband can take notes, but will not be able to answer for you. You  should be shown ID by the assessor and can ask for their profession but that and thier expertise is of little relevance to a PIP assessment , IT IS NOT A MEDICAL. Remember PIP is more about functionality than condition, you won't score points because you don't do something only for the things you can't do

I am sure others will give more /better advice

good luck

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.