I have created a petition on change.org campaigning for free/concessionary travel for carers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have created a petition on change.org campaigning for free/concessionary travel for carers

Options
sillysully89
sillysully89 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2017 in Research and opportunities
To whom this may concern,

I have created a petition on change.org campaigning for free/concessionary travel for carers that I would appreciate you getting behind and showing your support. 

I was a Carer from a Young Age to a family member who suffered a long fight with Early Onset Dementia from the age of 48, Epilepsy, Diabetes and many other conditions. I am also part of my local carers centre and have met many carers of all ages that all have had a huge impact on their lives from Caring. This is why I feel so strongly about this issue and have heard how much this simple change would help so many.

The proposal is that the government take the initiative to offer free/ concessionary transport for carers to allow them to better care. This could be possible either through adapting the concession and companion card which currently allows the carer to travel with the cared for but not separately which in most cases is needed or through some form of add on to carers allowance for those in receipt of it. Though preferably carers wouldn't need to be in receipt of carers allowance as not every carer who could benefit from this travel are.

My petition has currently reached over 3600 signatures and is being backed by my local council's petition board (Renfrewshire Council), in lobbying the Scottish Government to provide free/concessionary transport for unpaid carers.

Some other supporters of my petition include; Alzheimers Scotland, Dementia Friends Scotland, Downs Heart Group, Women For Independence, The coalition of carers, Carers UK, Carers Trust Scotland , ME Association, Enable Scotland and many MSP's.

Any support you show would be truly appreciated.

The link below directs you to my petition. I would truly appreciate your signature and if you could encourage others by sharing it on your social media pages.

Kind regards
Amanda macdonald

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.