i need help with my PIP interview — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

i need help with my PIP interview

pipesy
pipesy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i need help with my PIP interview  that is on weds this week and ive got no one go with shall cancell?? 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pipesy
    We have some videos on PIP assessments here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @pipesy

Don't just cancel or DWP will stop your DLA if you are currently in receipt of this. You can rearrange your PIP interview once but you will have to face an interview at some stage.  Being accompanied only gives moral support - the assessor will expect you to answer the questions.  I attended my PIP interview on my own and got through.

Don't drive yourself - take a taxi if necessary.  Assessment company will refund your fares if you agree this in advance.  Assessor probably will ask how you travelled to venue.  

Watch out for trick questions:

If asked for how long you can walk rather than how far, say that it takes you such and such time to walk such and such a distance.  Always relate time to distance.

Ability to walk up to 20m, aided or unaided, before stopping to rest = 12 points (enhanced)

Ability to walk 20m to 50m aided = 10 points (standard)

Ability to walk 20m to 50m unaided = 8 points (standard)

If you use a walking aid, take it with you.

If asked how many bad days do you have, these must be 50%, i.e. at least four days a week.

Asking about pets is a trick question.  Looking after pets suggests a certain level of energy, especially dogs.

Hobbies is another potential trap - jigsaw and crafts suggests a high level of manual dexterity.

You might be asked how close to your front door you are able to park your car.

Don't dress up and keep jewellery (and make up if you are female) to a minimum.  Ability to fasten jewellery with clasps, earrings, etc suggests a high level of manual dexterity.

Wear clothes without difficult fastenings.  Preferably no buttons.

Remember that the assessor will be observing you informally all the time, including the way you walk from waiting area to interview room and how you get up from the chair.  Don't put any bags down on the floor, put them on the spare chair next to you.

Don't overestimate your ability to do things.

Good luck!

• pipesy
    thank youso much im scared pooh less to be honest xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    Hi my mum got a f2f appointment and asked for a home visit they cancelled the appointment straight away.. A couple of days later we rang again to see if home assment has been approved she said yes she's getting home visit.. This morning she got a letter saying they will be getting more info from her doctors and when they get that info she might not be having a f2f.. they will be making a decision without a f2f..She had two very good supporting letters from her Gp.. What info will they be wanting.. Would anybody know please.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    Good luck pipesy
  • Matilda
    It's not that bad.  Answer confidently - that will give your more confidence.
  • pipesy
    it went ok the lady that was asking me questions seemed nice and kept asking me if i was ok to let her know if i needed a break ive heard anything yet so fingers crossed  thank you for your support xx
  • Matilda
    @pipesy

Pleased it went OK.  Have you asked DWP for a copy of the assessor' report?  This will give you a good indication of what the DWP decision is likely to be.
  • pipesy
    no love how do i do that? x
  • pipesy
    people have told me these no way i"ll get it first time i didnt have any doctors letters with me and no real support at the interview except my partner that waited out side x
  • Matilda
    Phone the number on your PIP correspondence from the DWP and ask them to send you a copy of the assessor's report.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @pipesy Don't listen to "other people" it's your claim and every claim is different so sweeping statements mean nothing. As @Matilda has advised ring the DWP and ask them to send you a copy of your assessment report. Your decision will more than likely be the same or very similar. 
  • pipesy
    im worried sick the doctor as put me on  sertraline im not eating not sleeping i have no money an its my daugters birthday tomorrow i have no family im tired of fighting x
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pipesy, I'm so sorry to hear this. Try not to worry (easier said than done, I know!), as regardless of the outcome, there are plenty of things that can be done, and the Online Community will offer support wherever possible. 

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can look after yourself.

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

• pipesy

its ok im NOT GOING TO  let them win i just keep going like always have done just fed up with feeling like ive done some thing wrong and i know i havent xxx
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    That's good to hear, @pipesy! You're absolutely right. I hope today is kind to you and that your daughter has a lovely birthday.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.