Does anybody know why pip assessor wants anymore info — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anybody know why pip assessor wants anymore info

Hi my mum asked for a home visit after receiving an appointment for a f2f atos cancelled the appointment straight away.  A few days later we rang to see if a home visit has been approved, the lady said yes she will be having a home assessment. Then this morning she received a letter saying they will be asking my mums Gp for more information and when they receive that info they may not need to see mum f2f they may do a assessment on the info they have.. She gave them 2 very good supporting letters from her Gp..  Does anybody know why and what info they will be wanting from her Gp?  Thanks 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    ATOS/IAS don’t like doing home visits. They cost and it’s hard to find people to do them.

If you ask for one then it’s routine for your GP to be asked to confirm the need for this. However, where they then do so, IAS will magically find enough information to make a decision on i.e. on the papers rather than do a HV.  

Bear in mind that a lot of GPs will not support a request for a HV and IAS take the attitude that money is as important as health for someone on benefits so if you go out to medical appointments you are probably capable of attending a face to face.
    Yes thankyou very much I understand now . 
  • [Deleted User]
    Budgie2 said:
    ATOS/IAS don’t like doing home visits. They cost and it’s hard to find people to do them.

If you ask for one then it’s routine for your GP to be asked to confirm the need for this. However, where they then do so, IAS will magically find enough information to make a decision on i.e. on the papers rather than do a HV.  

Bear in mind that a lot of GPs will not support a request for a HV and IAS take the attitude that money is as important as health for someone on benefits so if you go out to medical appointments you are probably capable of attending a face to face.

Hi so confused now mum just got another letter saying we're pleased to be able to offer you a home visit we are just waiting for an appointment ..dated the next day saying what I previously  posted
  • [Deleted User]
    Sorry I just don't know how to work these forums 
  • [Deleted User]

File it somewhere safe. Wait and see what happens next. These places operate on standard letters, which are not always appropriate to the specific circumstances of your case.

So, they may genuinely mean they're in the process of sorting out a HV. They may just mean you're in the system for another appt.

Not worth worrying about until the next contact which will hopefully clarify what's going on.

File it somewhere safe. Wait and see what happens next. These places operate on standard letters, which are not always appropriate to the specific circumstances of your case.

So, they may genuinely mean they're in the process of sorting out a HV. They may just mean you're in the system for another appt.

Not worth worrying about until the next contact which will hopefully clarify what's going on.

Yes I sure will and I do hope she gets a HV and not paper based ...thankyou so much for replying means a lot 
  • [Deleted User]
    Lol so sorry for mistakes made on this thread
  • [Deleted User]
    Don't worry/ You're still well below DWP error levels :)
    I'm sure she is 
  • [Deleted User]
    Budgie2 said:
    Hi my mum asked for a home visit after receiving an appointment for a f2f atos cancelled the appointment straight away.  A few days later we rang to see if a home visit has been approved, the lady said yes she will be having a home assessment. Then this morning she received a letter saying they will be asking my mums Gp for more information and when they receive that info they may not need to see mum f2f they may do a assessment on the info they have.. She gave them 2 very good supporting letters from her Gp..  Does anybody know why and what info they will be wanting from her Gp?  Thanks 
    Hmm mum's GO not heard from them has yet surly they would have asked for the more info by now ..any advise how long they normally take please?
  • [Deleted User]
    Budgie2 said:
    Budgie2 said:
    Hmm mum's GO not heard from them has yet surly they would have asked for the more info by now ..any advise how long they normally take please?
    GP
  • [Deleted User]

There is no "normal" in this context. Response time of a GP will vary with multiple things and the ability of the assessment provider to do a HV will vary depending on the number of staff willing to do them and their workload.

If you're getting very anxious about it then ask more specific questions.

Ask the assessment provider the date when they wrote to the GP. Ask the practice manager whether it has been rec'd yet and what is happening with it? Also a good idea to make an appt. with the GP to discuss what they are going to say and ensure they are up to date with the facts of the case else they could be just quoting from out of date medical records.

That's pretty much all you can do.

Thats great advice thanks didn't know we could ask these questions.. thankyou. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Budgie2 said:

There is no "normal" in this context. Response time of a GP will vary with multiple things and the ability of the assessment provider to do a HV will vary depending on the number of staff willing to do them and their workload.

Ask the assessment provider the date when they wrote to the GP. Ask the practice manager whether it has been rec'd yet and what is happening with it? Also a good idea to make an appt. with the GP to discuss what they are going to say and ensure they are up to date with the facts of the case else they could be just quoting from out of date medical records.

Budgie2 said:

Hi am I allowed to have my say has her carer and or answer some questions ...my mum lost both her son's 2 years ago both in their 20s her mind just isn't with us she just wants to be with my brothers and has already tried to be...( mental health)this is just one of 3 conditions they are aware about ?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2017
    You might be allowed to assist her in answering but the assessor will mainly want answers from your mother

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    You might be allowed to assist her in answering but the assessor will mainly want answers from your mother

CR
    Ok yes I can understand that.. Thankyou 
  • [Deleted User]
    Still no news on assessment at home for mum surely there's somebody in her area that can assess her by now 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You might be offered a short notice appointment over the festive period

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    You might be offered a short notice appointment over the festive period

CR
    Yes thankyou my thoughts too 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.