If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Universal Credit Information

Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,477Administrator Scope community team
edited October 2018 in Universal Credit
We now have a really useful information page about Universal Credit, we understand that these changes can be confusing and distressing and so we hope that we can offer you as much information and support as possible.

Take a look at the Universal Credit page here.  

Money Advice Service have produced a great resource explaining all about Universal Credit.
Scope
Senior online community officer

Replies

• GettingBetterGettingBetter Posts: 5Member Listener
    Hi
    I am 62 years old and in ESA Support Group [PTSD/mental} {4years+}.
    I recently moved in to a Universal Credit Full Service Area.
    I would now like to return to work as Self Employed/Sole Trader.

Can someone please tell me what the process is?

1)If my request to go to work as Self Employed triggers a reassessment that puts me in WRAG, will that then be under UC?
    2)Can I volunteer to migrate to UC from ESA SG now, and when ready, go Self Employed?
    3}What is the minnium hours worked for me to qualify for UC?
    4)Are there any other options open to me?
    Thanks
    John
  • KAPTAINKRIPKAPTAINKRIP Posts: 4Member Listener
    Hi I LIVE IN WEST KENTiAM CONCERNED ABOUT THE CHANGE TO PIPS AND UC
    any IDEA HOW LONG IT MIGHT BE NTILI HAVE TOGO ONTO THE POINTLESS UNIVERSAL DISCREDIT iAM IN THE SUPPORT GROUOTHERE IS NO WAYI COULD GOTGO AN ASSESSMENT,any encouraging commentI'M 54 AND TERRIFIED OF THE DEPARTMENT OF WILFUL PERSECUTION
  • earthchild23earthchild23 Posts: 6Member Listener
    I am messaging to generally Enquire about UC an Lcwra element, 
    I am asking is Lcwra backdated for claimants who was told to move to UC with previous disability elements on income support (IS)? 
    I have been awarded the element after 3 months after now I’m july from starting my claim in April, I was entitled to IS as a carer beforehand with full disability premiums as I was entitled to pip and have a child with complex neurological and physical GI difficulties, at the time he was receiving DLA following this I had to do a renewal and lost the MR so I am now awaiting months later for the Tribunal... anyway to cut it short as a IS claimant I received the 8 week carry on to replace the carers through the changes Protection for carers, none of the payments had been changed to UC and I have lost out, I was getting full premiums before on IS but a informal and quite illiterative conversation with a Case manager of UC yesterday informed me that yes my LCwra is counted from April but won’t pay until August with no back pay, again I’ve only received the decision letter on the journal, I was entitled to Esa before but never claimed as I have my sons difficulties so I was advised to do IS and the IS manager I was in contact with said I should transition with protection however they left me with near nothing and the only consistent payment atm is my pip n child benefit. 

Hope some one can help me with my complex claim 
  • jude1967jude1967 Posts: 52Member Courageous
    I have only just today received my back payment from last Nov.you have to appeal or it can go into reconsideration panel .you can apply through your journal.but I find also to ring them to make sure that your file has been sent there as mine been so they say since May.but if u have all your medical proof then it's worth you doing it..as it's been horrendous and they not very forthcoming in their answer .but I have heard from them on Sunday they paid me today ..so it be worth a try ..hope u have luck..but it's also worth talking to us local mp as universal credit ..don.t like it wen your local mp contact them and it's seem they look at it then faster..wish I done it in the beginning..good luck 
  • Jojof01Jojof01 Posts: 1Member Listener
    Hi everyone   ..I'm new today .. on u/c  and have menaires disease. . Lost my hearing ..2 aids .. but severe vertigo last 2 years .. virtually house bound .. I have son 10 .. single mom of 54 .. hospital have done all they can .. feel so fed up .. no support ..and job center want me to work. . I wish I could but too busy spinning. .. this condition is so misunderstood. . 
  • jude1967jude1967 Posts: 52Member Courageous
    I have arnold chari and syringomelia and b12 and it's been a battle since day one of my claim.it took them 7mnth to get someone to look at me a neurosurgeon..but it was a very short as I had my medical records from Harley street in hand and took it all..even though esa had them universal credit didn.t they copied them all and he said well there no more I can do as it's was shown there no cure and there never will be for me as I was told they couldn.t for me as myself have more appearing to which it's reach now...but I was lucky my son would come to my home and make me fone and made them move to reconsideration and we wen to my no..they really do not like it ..that was 2 wks ago and it's was back dated ..which I was appealing against was for my back money please don.t give up take it to appeal as it's a lot better also get ur no to back your case ..as a lot more mp.should support people who are disabled ..unless you come face to face with them they won.t no ..please have faith keep trying ..honest it's worth a try..my boys were young carers looking after me and my youngest was 4 then.but they turned out well they even come to my neurosurgeon if they think they not right as the people that live with you or family they can explain your struggles ..nobody now you better than your loved ones ..my friend took her 13 yr daughter with her ..she was fab..they just curing the wrong people back ..also U could find it solicitor maybe as they will know where the law stands ..good luck 
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,804Member Disability Gamechanger
    I am terrified of UC with all the horror stories. Its coming my way next month. Im om JSA and pip, what should I expect please? I was hoping to get 16 hours work and claim wtc before it arrives as I read online that you can be worse off once the changes happen. But its not looking like im going to get those hours.

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 11,971Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    If you're still claiming JSA when your area moves to UC, then you'll stay on JSA unless you have a change of circumstances. Those currently claiming the legacy benefits like ESA/JSA will not be asked to transfer to UC until at least 2019 and much later for a lot of people. 
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,804Member Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you 

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • medwaymummedwaymum Posts: 9Member Connected
    Hi I LIVE IN WEST KENTiAM CONCERNED ABOUT THE CHANGE TO PIPS AND UC
    any IDEA HOW LONG IT MIGHT BE NTILI HAVE TOGO ONTO THE POINTLESS UNIVERSAL DISCREDIT iAM IN THE SUPPORT GROUOTHERE IS NO WAYI COULD GOTGO AN ASSESSMENT,any encouraging commentI'M 54 AND TERRIFIED OF THE DEPARTMENT OF WILFUL PERSECUTION

I have a relative who is manager of UC in Kent she said that for people who are already on benefit and have no changes it will start putting them on in May 2019 but it may take as long as 2023 for everyone to go on it ,hope this helps.

• Sue52Sue52 Posts: 77Member Courageous
    Hi Everyone, 
    Hope you are enjoying your day... I certainly am. I am sitting in my pj's at the kitchen table with the back door open, listening to Come Dine with Me :)
    I just have a quick question if thats ok?
    My situation is
    I now only work 16 hours per week (due to RA, Osteperosis)
    I receive working tax credit with a disability element 
    I also receive PIP which was awarded for 5 years ( awarded till 2021)
    I receive partial housing benefit as well
    I keep reading the horror stories of UC and wonder will I be affected by this?
     :'(  I know its to early to worry  :)
    best of wishes to everyone and I hope you enjoy your day
    take care
    Sue 

No, not until at least 2019 possibly later unless a change of circumstances prompts a move across you'll stay on your existing benefits.
  • deannadeanna Posts: 7Member Listener
    But its October 2018, 2019  isn't that far away?
  • Sue52Sue52 Posts: 77Member Courageous
  • DippyDippy Posts: 10Member Listener
    I ‘m worried to death as if pushed on UC the severe disability premium I receive at present  on my esa support will no longer be so I’ve read it’s a big drop in money as much
    as £68 a fortnight !!!!
    how can they or do take if
    in the name of premium is severe even think to take it away 😢? 
    Any brown envelope that drops through the letter box instils fear , I’m on pip full Mobility and what was middle care . 
    The mobility I use for a car as breathing problems mean I cannot walk far to front gate is bad enough . I have a host of other problems with heath really scared about UC .
    ive been put on housing list for a bungalow ,  fear that will trigger  a change if find one .
    feeling stressed and worried its making my breathing worse . 
    Please advise me if possible what to expect never get clear answers if phone DWP to get answers  .
    thank you in advance 

Dippy said:
    I ‘m worried to death as if pushed on UC the severe disability premium I receive at present  on my esa support will no longer be so I’ve read it’s a big drop in money as much
    as £68 a fortnight !!!!
    how can they or do take if
    in the name of premium is severe even think to take it away 😢? 
    Any brown envelope that drops through the letter box instils fear , I’m on pip full Mobility and what was middle care . 
    The mobility I use for a car as breathing problems mean I cannot walk far to front gate is bad enough . I have a host of other problems with heath really scared about UC .
    ive been put on housing list for a bungalow ,  fear that will trigger  a change if find one .
    feeling stressed and worried its making my breathing worse . 
    Please advise me if possible what to expect never get clear answers if phone DWP to get answers  .
    thank you in advance 

If you move house in the next few months then because you're claiming the severe disability premium you won't be able to claim UC. You'll stay on the same benefits you're claiming now. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/10/made

Those that are claiming SDP can't claim UC until the transitional support protection is in place sometime this year.
  • Murphy1926Murphy1926 Posts: 36Member Listener
    I have been offered to move to sheltered and be near my son but I don't get sdp.im on esa support group with high mobility dla.i also live alone any help wpuld be appreciated thanks.
  • Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Posts: 786Member Pioneering
    edited March 23
    I have been offered to move to sheltered and be near my son but I don't get sdp.im on esa support group with high mobility dla.i also live alone any help wpuld be appreciated thanks.
    @Murphy1926 Hi you will need to recieve Middle or high rate care on DLA, it's not based on a Mobility award.  Not Low rate care.

If you was on PIP any rate care will be entitled to SDP
    Also to remember to recieve SDP you would need to be living on your own and know one else claims any care allowance for you.

If your marrried and both on either DLA or PIP you both could recieve SDP.

As for moving home you shouldent, won't be affected if it's within the same LA or council.

As you get ESA SG and no SDP it's worth finding out first if you will have to claim UC.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

"This must not be allowed to happen"

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) has published a contract notice announcing its plans for a £3.1billion revamp of heath checks for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and other benefits.

PIP is not ESA or even UC, having one assessment for those benefits is morally wrong to treat them as ONE size fits all with that one assessment.

Latest update 9th May 2019

DWP confirms single assessment plans, despite Tomlinson confusion

The government has confirmed that it is pushing ahead with plans to test how it might be able to merge two disability benefit assessments into one, despite comments from a minister that appeared to suggest that no such plans were being discussed.

But DWP has now made it clear to Disability News Service that testing of a single assessment will be going ahead.

Hi thank for infor.i do live alone but still on dla not pip.and I would be moving to different authority.and uc is fully live there.im gping to see if I have to move over to it if I do then I'm not moving.i have been told I would lose 97 pound a month and 11.30 towards the rent making a lose of 124.I am seeing another benefit adviser next week but I don't hold any hope.basically I wanted to move for health reasons and get support  from my son but would get penalized 
    edited March 23
    Hi thank for infor.i do live alone but still on dla not pip.and I would be moving to different authority.and uc is fully live there.im gping to see if I have to move over to it if I do then I'm not moving.i have been told I would lose 97 pound a month and 11.30 towards the rent making a lose of 124.I am seeing another benefit adviser next week but I don't hold any hope.basically I wanted to move for health reasons and get support  from my son but would get penalized 

@Murphy1926 your welcome.

Yes I did see you was on DLA. As you only got high rate mobility it's not going to get SDP. As your on DLA to claim SDP as ive stated you would need to be on Middle or High care.

Also you've stated you would be moving to a new area and not in receipt of SDP will then cause a change in circumstances, so in effect will force you to claim UC.

Its so sad that now you can't move to be near your son. Good luck and take care.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) has published a contract notice announcing its plans for a £3.1billion revamp of heath checks for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and other benefits.

PIP is not ESA or even UC, having one assessment for those benefits is morally wrong to treat them as ONE size fits all with that one assessment.

The government has confirmed that it is pushing ahead with plans to test how it might be able to merge two disability benefit assessments into one, despite comments from a minister that appeared to suggest that no such plans were being discussed.

But DWP has now made it clear to Disability News Service that testing of a single assessment will be going ahead.

Thank you.at nearly 63 it's absolutely ridiculous that we are forced to stay where it's not suitable for our health and needs with lifelong illnesses and disabilitys.i realy appreciate your reply thanks again.
    Hi,

You mention sheltered housing, may i ask if this is supported housing?
    Hi it's sheltered accommodation but you live independently but the support is there if needed.as with Careline and on site scheme manager .
    edited March 23
    Yes, that's what i thought. I do believe that you won't be able to claim the housing element of UC for this and you'll still be able to claiming housing costs through housing benefit, even though it's a totally different council. Supported accommodation is exempt from UC housing element. See link and scroll down to temporary and supported housing.

Thank you I will have a look.im just looking into everything as I don't realy understand  it.i been waiting for two years to move and I was shocked to find this out.thank you again.
    You're welcome. I see you're seeing a benefits adviser next week, is this someone from your local CAB or welfare rights maybe?

Hi I been told I will get full housing benefit  but will have to pay 11.30 towards the rent I think because  it's sheltered.was told there is a discretionary housing payment but it's not guaranteed. 
    How much housing benefit you can claim will depend on circumstances. The DHP if given is only temporary and only usually given for a short period of time.

When you move because you can claim housing benefit then your ESA will just be a simple change of address and you won't be prompted to move to UC.
    Thanks poppy.im am seeing another benefit adviser next week so hopefully get some more information.but the info I was given is from the housing advice people from where I would be possibley  move to.as it's so complex I need to get the right information  as I don't realy want to lose that much money.i would be needing money for moving expenses and and having to claim  uc as well it would be to stressful.im so glad I joined scope and I am so appreciate  the information  you give thank you
    Sorry poppy ment to say I will be seeing a benefit adviser from  a local advice centre.
    Hi poppy , benefits adviser is not from cab.there from a local advice  centre that deal with all housing and benefits advice.
    You're welcome. Good luck with the move if it does happen. I certainly know just how stressful moving is.
    Thank you.fingers crossed.i will keep you posted.
    Hi poppy.there is another question I'm not sure of.under universal  credit there are two rates of limited capability for work.one is 126 a month and the other is 328.I don't seem to understand who qualify for the higher amount.if your assed and put in the support group would I need to go to another on with uc.thanks
    Hi poppy.there is another question I'm not sure of.under universal  credit there are two rates of limited capability for work.one is 126 a month and the other is 328.I don't seem to understand who qualify for the higher amount.if your assed and put in the support group would I need to go to another on with uc.thanks
    You won't have to claim UC as previously advised you'll be able to claim housing benefit and remain on your existing benefits.
    But to answer your question just so you know. LCW is WRAG  £126 extra for those who applied before April 2017. The higher amount of £328 is limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA or Support Group)
    Hi poppy I've been on esa support group for over three years so would I qualify for the higher rate.thank you
    You would yes but like i've already advised if you move house you would NOT have to claim universal credit.
    Oh even if it's to a different authority.
    I have already advised you about this. You won't be able to claim UC for your rent because you're moving to sheltered accommodation. You'll just claim housing benefit as you are now, even though it's a different local council. This is the link i posted in a previous comment, did you read it? Scroll down to temporary and supported housing at it will confirm what i said.

Your ESA will stay as ESA and you just need to report a change of address to DWP.

Oh sorry poppy I did read it.but trying to understand it.its more clearer to me when someone explains it.sorry to repeat myself I realy appreciate  you helping me.
    Been to see benefit adviser and he says I will have to go on uc.even though I won't claim housing benefit for supported housing it will still be a change of address that will activate uc.it becoming a nightmare don't think I will be moving
    edited March 27
    Been to see benefit adviser and he says I will have to go on uc.even though I won't claim housing benefit for supported housing it will still be a change of address that will activate uc.it becoming a nightmare don't think I will be moving

Sorry to hear this @Murphy1926 as I said in an earlier post to you I qouted "Also you've stated you would be moving to a new area and not in receipt of SDP will then cause a change in circumstances, so in effect will force you to claim UC"

For which I believe was the case as a change in circumstances all along, now you've spoken to a benefits adviser and have been advised it will force you onto UC.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yes so basically even though I'm in the support  group of esa which I get 128  a week I would only get 73.as limited capability  for work extra amount of 126 a month is no longer available for people after may 2017.losing that amount of money has forced me to stay Where i am.the stress would be to much.thanks for all your help.
    Yes so basically even though I'm in the support  group of esa which I get 128  a week I would only get 73.as limited capability  for work extra amount of 126 a month is no longer available for people after may 2017.losing that amount of money has forced me to stay Where i am.the stress would be to much.thanks for all your help.

@Murphy1926 trust me this Government are so hell bent on dismissing the vulnerable and inflicting these cruel policy's on us.

You're ESA SG should be moved to UC as the assessment placed you into the SG. The only way is if they decide to not honor you Support Group status.
    Basicly your stuck between a rock. 

These torys are a joke.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

I now it's terrible.im just stuck.its not worth the gamble as it's be mentioned to me once on uc there's no going back.been told to wait untill they  migrate me which  will take three years.torys are a joke.
Sign in or join us to comment.