If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Universal Credit Information

Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 6,913Administrator Scope community team
edited October 2018 in Universal Credit
We now have a really useful information page about Universal Credit, we understand that these changes can be confusing and distressing and so we hope that we can offer you as much information and support as possible.

Take a look at the Universal Credit page here.  

Money Advice Service have produced a great resource explaining all about Universal Credit.
Scope
Senior online community officer

Replies

• GettingBetterGettingBetter Posts: 5Member Listener
    Hi
    I am 62 years old and in ESA Support Group [PTSD/mental} {4years+}.
    I recently moved in to a Universal Credit Full Service Area.
    I would now like to return to work as Self Employed/Sole Trader.

Can someone please tell me what the process is?

1)If my request to go to work as Self Employed triggers a reassessment that puts me in WRAG, will that then be under UC?
    2)Can I volunteer to migrate to UC from ESA SG now, and when ready, go Self Employed?
    3}What is the minnium hours worked for me to qualify for UC?
    4)Are there any other options open to me?
    Thanks
    John
  • KAPTAINKRIPKAPTAINKRIP Posts: 4Member Listener
    Hi I LIVE IN WEST KENTiAM CONCERNED ABOUT THE CHANGE TO PIPS AND UC
    any IDEA HOW LONG IT MIGHT BE NTILI HAVE TOGO ONTO THE POINTLESS UNIVERSAL DISCREDIT iAM IN THE SUPPORT GROUOTHERE IS NO WAYI COULD GOTGO AN ASSESSMENT,any encouraging commentI'M 54 AND TERRIFIED OF THE DEPARTMENT OF WILFUL PERSECUTION
  • earthchild23earthchild23 Posts: 4Member Listener
    I am messaging to generally Enquire about UC an Lcwra element, 
    I am asking is Lcwra backdated for claimants who was told to move to UC with previous disability elements on income support (IS)? 
    I have been awarded the element after 3 months after now I’m july from starting my claim in April, I was entitled to IS as a carer beforehand with full disability premiums as I was entitled to pip and have a child with complex neurological and physical GI difficulties, at the time he was receiving DLA following this I had to do a renewal and lost the MR so I am now awaiting months later for the Tribunal... anyway to cut it short as a IS claimant I received the 8 week carry on to replace the carers through the changes Protection for carers, none of the payments had been changed to UC and I have lost out, I was getting full premiums before on IS but a informal and quite illiterative conversation with a Case manager of UC yesterday informed me that yes my LCwra is counted from April but won’t pay until August with no back pay, again I’ve only received the decision letter on the journal, I was entitled to Esa before but never claimed as I have my sons difficulties so I was advised to do IS and the IS manager I was in contact with said I should transition with protection however they left me with near nothing and the only consistent payment atm is my pip n child benefit. 

Hope some one can help me with my complex claim 
  • jude1967jude1967 Posts: 33Member Whisperer
    I have only just today received my back payment from last Nov.you have to appeal or it can go into reconsideration panel .you can apply through your journal.but I find also to ring them to make sure that your file has been sent there as mine been so they say since May.but if u have all your medical proof then it's worth you doing it..as it's been horrendous and they not very forthcoming in their answer .but I have heard from them on Sunday they paid me today ..so it be worth a try ..hope u have luck..but it's also worth talking to us local mp as universal credit ..don.t like it wen your local mp contact them and it's seem they look at it then faster..wish I done it in the beginning..good luck 
  • Jojof01Jojof01 Posts: 1Member Listener
    Hi everyone   ..I'm new today .. on u/c  and have menaires disease. . Lost my hearing ..2 aids .. but severe vertigo last 2 years .. virtually house bound .. I have son 10 .. single mom of 54 .. hospital have done all they can .. feel so fed up .. no support ..and job center want me to work. . I wish I could but too busy spinning. .. this condition is so misunderstood. . 
  • jude1967jude1967 Posts: 33Member Whisperer
    I have arnold chari and syringomelia and b12 and it's been a battle since day one of my claim.it took them 7mnth to get someone to look at me a neurosurgeon..but it was a very short as I had my medical records from Harley street in hand and took it all..even though esa had them universal credit didn.t they copied them all and he said well there no more I can do as it's was shown there no cure and there never will be for me as I was told they couldn.t for me as myself have more appearing to which it's reach now...but I was lucky my son would come to my home and make me fone and made them move to reconsideration and we wen to my no..they really do not like it ..that was 2 wks ago and it's was back dated ..which I was appealing against was for my back money please don.t give up take it to appeal as it's a lot better also get ur no to back your case ..as a lot more mp.should support people who are disabled ..unless you come face to face with them they won.t no ..please have faith keep trying ..honest it's worth a try..my boys were young carers looking after me and my youngest was 4 then.but they turned out well they even come to my neurosurgeon if they think they not right as the people that live with you or family they can explain your struggles ..nobody now you better than your loved ones ..my friend took her 13 yr daughter with her ..she was fab..they just curing the wrong people back ..also U could find it solicitor maybe as they will know where the law stands ..good luck 
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,493Member Brian Blessed
    I am terrified of UC with all the horror stories. Its coming my way next month. Im om JSA and pip, what should I expect please? I was hoping to get 16 hours work and claim wtc before it arrives as I read online that you can be worse off once the changes happen. But its not looking like im going to get those hours.

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 7,283Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
    If you're still claiming JSA when your area moves to UC, then you'll stay on JSA unless you have a change of circumstances. Those currently claiming the legacy benefits like ESA/JSA will not be asked to transfer to UC until at least 2019 and much later for a lot of people. 
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,493Member Brian Blessed
    Thank you 

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • medwaymummedwaymum Posts: 9Member Whisperer
    Hi I LIVE IN WEST KENTiAM CONCERNED ABOUT THE CHANGE TO PIPS AND UC
    any IDEA HOW LONG IT MIGHT BE NTILI HAVE TOGO ONTO THE POINTLESS UNIVERSAL DISCREDIT iAM IN THE SUPPORT GROUOTHERE IS NO WAYI COULD GOTGO AN ASSESSMENT,any encouraging commentI'M 54 AND TERRIFIED OF THE DEPARTMENT OF WILFUL PERSECUTION

I have a relative who is manager of UC in Kent she said that for people who are already on benefit and have no changes it will start putting them on in May 2019 but it may take as long as 2023 for everyone to go on it ,hope this helps.

• Sue52Sue52 Posts: 74Member, Community champion Talkative
    Hi Everyone, 
    Hope you are enjoying your day... I certainly am. I am sitting in my pj's at the kitchen table with the back door open, listening to Come Dine with Me :)
    I just have a quick question if thats ok?
    My situation is
    I now only work 16 hours per week (due to RA, Osteperosis)
    I receive working tax credit with a disability element 
    I also receive PIP which was awarded for 5 years ( awarded till 2021)
    I receive partial housing benefit as well
    I keep reading the horror stories of UC and wonder will I be affected by this?
     :'(  I know its to early to worry  :)
    best of wishes to everyone and I hope you enjoy your day
    take care
    Sue 

• poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 7,283Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
    No, not until at least 2019 possibly later unless a change of circumstances prompts a move across you'll stay on your existing benefits.
  • deannadeanna Posts: 7Member Listener
    But its October 2018, 2019  isn't that far away?
  • Sue52Sue52 Posts: 74Member, Community champion Talkative
Sign in or join us to comment.