If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERINECE OF CERVICAL DISC SURGERY

loopytloopyt Posts: 75Member Whisperer
edited December 2017 in Dealing with chronic pain
Very nervous about the possibility of surgery on a herniated cervical disc and would appreciate some comments from anyone with experience of this problem/surgery. Was it successful or did it make things worse?

Replies

• Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 3,598Administrator Scope community team
    I wonder if @mol could offer any insight here?
  • DoodleBethDoodleBeth Posts: 3Member Whisperer
    My mum had it two years ago and it helped her so much. Sorted out all her pain. She’s back playing tennis regularly (at 73) and walking miles every day :) 
  • wilkowilko Posts: 719Member Chatterbox
    @loopyt,
    Having had spinal decompression surgery in earl 2016, numb from the waist down, successful yes the Physo and the six weekly back classes all helped my recovery but unbeknown to me I was suffering with undiagnosed MS confirmed in the autumn after having three MRI scans. Good luck you will be fine a new person.
  • abatemanabateman Posts: 3Member Listener
    Had my op Dec 2000 it worked for few yrs but weakens spine and puts pressure on other discs/joints in back. Go with it but be careful afterwards.
  • Lynne53Lynne53 Posts: 52Member Talkative
    Had cervical surgery about five years ago and two prior lumbar surgeries. I had no choice with the cervical surgery due to the position of the disc. I get some neck pain, but the alternative could have been far worse.  I'm glad in a way that I had no choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kaypinkkaypink Posts: 7Member Listener
    My husband had this 2 years ago and was home 24 hrs later. Unfortunately his pain has got worse so he’s waiting for a referral for possible spinal fusion surgery.  And they say hard work never did you any harm!
  • MisscleoMisscleo Posts: 367Member Chatterbox
    Yes i was always sporty at school
     I could jump higjer and run for longer. Cant do any of tbat now.
    But at least i had a kot if fun 
  • TopkittenTopkitten Posts: 797Member Chatterbox
    I had Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (microsurgery) done in 2005 to correct a rupture and had very few, if any, issues from it. Unfortunately the surgeon that performed it in Romford Hospital is no longer in the country but there are still a few in the country trained for it. Generally the procedure isn't particularly risky but any surgery can cause issues and a fused joint is never as strong as the original and will put extra pressure on the surrounding discs. In my case I had no real issues for almost 10 years but now have a second disc ruptured. Whether this has happened due to the previous surgery or because I wasn't careful enough or because there was an inherent weakness I will never know as surgeons will not discuss such topics.

There are some replacement disc techniques but these are usually reserved for the lower spine.

TK
    I am here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I am all out of bubblegum -- They Live 80 something cult film.
Sign in or join us to comment.