Can I get a wet room in my rented house? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get a wet room in my rented house?

scouse1963
scouse1963 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I claim eesa, I want to know how I can have a wet room fitted in my rented property
I have had trouble climbing into the bath to shower,
Any advice how to claim would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @scouse1963, welcome to the community! Hopefully our OT advisor will be in touch soon with some further information for you. 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @scouse1963

Sorry for the delay in responding, I’ve been away from the office for a few days.

In order to have a wet-room fitted into a rented house you will need:

1. The permission of your Landlord to adapt the property.

2. The premises to be suitable for adaptation

3. A means of funding the adaptations. For disabled adults unable to fund the adaptations themselves this normally means applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG), there is information about this on the Scope website: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/disabled-facilities-grant

The first step will be for you to contact the Adult Social Care Team at your Council and ask them to arrange for their Occupational Therapist (OT) to visit your home to assess your needs and the house.

The OT might agree that a wet-room it is necessary and possible, and if your landlord gives permission, a DFG may be applied for. However, the OT might also suggest other alternatives to a wet-room that may assist with your bathing but in their opinion be more appropriate.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.