new guy.. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

new guy..

barneymcgee56
barneymcgee56 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello, i'm Barney. I am a sixtyone year old man from Lincolnshire, who was a fit and healthy 'work hard, play hard' type of guy until 2006..i'd already sold my windowcleaning business in 2005 due to arthritis in my knees..had a succession of temp jobs with agencies until in February 2006 i had a heart attack. Six months later the DSS, as it was called then, had me in for an assessment with one of their doctors..he put me on 'long-term incapacity' and told me they didn't want any more sicknotes, that my benefits would automatically go in the bank from then on...I should mention here, I have a lower spine injury that happened way back in 1989, I did it playing amateur football one sunday. So..the years went by (slowly, I was bored and unhappy) the arthritis advanced on its march till most of my joints were affected, I survived a second heart attack in 2012, was told by a consultant that one third of my heart is basically dead and the next attack will kill me. The back injury was getting worse and I was in almost constant pain by now, so I drank more..and more..to numb the pain..was on anti-depressants now and relying more and more on drink. Christmas 2013..had a word with myself in the mirror..sounds corny but it happens..upshot is I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since..I just suffer in silence with the constant pain of arthritis and the back. Can't have the 'proper' meds for arthritis either, due to my heart meds. So last march I was summoned to an assessment and i'm sure you are familiar with the rest.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @barneymcgee56 welcome to the community.

It sounds like you have really been through it! Well done for dealing with the alcohol problem, that must have been really tough.

How did your assessment go?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • barneymcgee56
    barneymcgee56 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Well of course I was found to be fit for work..it's what they do. I've been signing on for the past eight months, even been on two computer courses, just for the hell of it..it's free so...had my appeal the other day..just got the letter..I won! I'm going to go and see my man at the jobcentre, cos i'm not sure what happens next.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.