Only Awarded Standard Mobilty for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Only Awarded Standard Mobilty for PIP

diddydaveuk
diddydaveuk Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I just got my letter from DWP about my PIP claim and to my suprise i have been awarded the Standard rate for both Living and Mobility.  I was expecting to stay on Higher Rate mobility like i am with DLA but lose my living component.  I never expected to lose my higher rate mobility especially as they are saying i scored 10 out 12 for how little i can move but 0 out 12 as i can plan a journey. To me that does not make sense that despite not being able to phyically go somewhere i still lose money as i can plan the journey. The justification for this decision was i was not anxious during the assessment and do not have therapy for my PTSD and am only on one medication for it. While i will only lose 10 a month , it is the fact i will have to buy my own mobility scooter and may lose my blue badge when i reapply next year that will cause the biggest problem! 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi diddydave and welcome

Have you requested a mandatory reconsideration ?

The requirement for a Blue badge is any mobility component even standard so you are safe with that

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @diddydaveuk

You can ask for a mandatory reconsideration (MR) and if that is turned down go to appeal.

At my appeal my award was increased from standard both elements to enhanced both elements.

Disabilty Rights (DR) site has a good guide to PIP appeals as does their Handbook priced £15 from DR site. 
  • diddydaveuk
    diddydaveuk Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thanks for all the feedback ! I have sent a letter to the DWP asking for a Mandatory Reassessment which i know rarely makes a difference but needed before i can appeal. I am only 2 pionts short of enhanced rate mobility so there is always a possibility i could win an appeal. After all i lost my Incapacity Benefit a few years back after an assessment and after 18 months on income support i won the appeal. I have recently had my ESA upgraded to the higher rate.
    I was talking about benefits and things with my Mother this morning and she was saying about how the Government want all disabled who are able to work to work and i said quite right too. I have always said if someone said they could take aways my pain and PTSD but i would have to work 60 hours a week i would say okay when do i start. So many people who have to live on disability are seen as scroungers and/or lazy but the majority of us would work if we could. Sorry rant over

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.