Hi everyone, my name is Tom — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi everyone, my name is Tom

tomwass
tomwass Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am a third (and final) year Graphic Design student and am designing a kitchen product for wheelchair users and children living at home with parents/ grandparents etc. My aim is to help wheelchair users and children be more independent and help to contribute when in the kitchen with the food preparation and washing up. I think it will also help to make the family be more sociable in what is one of the most important rooms of a household. 

The idea is for a customised kitchen sink, most likely fitted in a kitchen island, that has a slide-out or fold-out 'countertop' from underneath or beside the main sink. 

This countertop will be at the level for a wheelchair user to sit comfortably at or for a child to stand at and either help prep food or help dry and air out crockery and utensils. My vision is that the 'washer' at the kitchen sink will wash and rinse plates and the 'dryer' can dry with a tea-towel and stack the crockery/ utensils or just put them into an imbedded drying rack that will come in the countertop. There will also be cover to slide on top of the countertop which food can be cut on top of of plates stacked for example. 

I hope I have described the idea well enough.
Any questions or feedback whether positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.