fibromyalgia and pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

fibromyalgia and pain

rae64
rae64 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I suffer with fibromyalgia among other problems would like any information if anyone know of anything to ease the pain I am allrgic to paracetamol and codiene thank you x

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rae64

A very very big welcome to you to our community/family.

I have had “Chronic Pain” since 2005.

Currently I’m on “max doses” on my Meds ???

Sorry to ask but are you currently under anyone for your current condition ???

Are you on any Meds currently ???

Sorry again !!!!!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Rae64,

Welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about the pain you experience.

I've moved your post to our dealing with pain category. Hopefully other members can help, you might also find the other conversations in this category useful.
  • Wilkinson66
    Wilkinson66 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi, I've just joined the group and like you have fibromyalgia. I'm on several drugs trying to keep my pain bearable... Don't you say what you are already taking for your condition? or how long you have suffered with it.
    I have suffered with it for about seven years. I managed to keep working with it for five years as I thought it was arthritis.I don't know to this day how I did it. I take 2 different lots of antidepressants and Nefopam co-codamol and tramadol. In the past, i think I've about tried the lot. 
    The doctor told me that there are about 6 different combinations only.
    I hope I haven't said too much about it being my first time. apologies if so.
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    hi, i've no diagnosis yet but i use naproxen, it's for muscular pain, not sure what's in it but i've been told it's similar to ibuprofen.
  • ussie
    ussie Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi, I have Fibromyalgia too, I take Gabapentin for the pain. I work on a checkout which causes me unbearable pain, about three hours into my shift my whole body racks in pain. But my Doctor won’t support me in giving up work. She says it is good to work for my depression, which it may be but the pain is unbearable some days especially over a Christmas with lifting heavy bottles etc. I also take tablets for my depression and tablets for my diabetes. Life is such fun! What can we do but take one day at a time, I just wish my Doctor was more supportive.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have suffered Chronic Pain for over a decade and I have made 2 or 3 long posts recently regarding medication. Have a look around because off-hand I cannot remember where (unless someone else can?). However, strong medication MUST be arranged in accordance with either your GP or the Pain Clinic.

I am afraid you are misinformed about one thing though. You are not allergic to either Codeine or Paracetamol. Cocodamol is a combination of both.

@feir , Naproxen is an NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug), much like Ibruprofen but is stronger. I have been on both but found that Ibruprofen was, in my case, more effective. I would like to say that if you are on it for any length of time you should also be taking something like Omeprazol to protect your stomach from creating ulcers or causing gastritis. Unfortunately long term use of that can cause Anaemia thus requiring 2 or 3 more tablets to correct that. Nothing is simple, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Wilkinson66
    Wilkinson66 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hiya  TK,
    I don't know how long I've had Fibromyalgia because for years I thought the pain was Arthritis. I'm almost sure I have an ulcer due to years of taking pain relief. I take laprosal morning and night for that. I am in constant pain.My skin is very sore from shoulders to the top of my feet. Myscalp is sore and itches and burns. 
    I take a multitude of pain, antidepressants, sickness, stomach, vitamin D and allergic tablets. I used Voltrol on breakthrough pain and do you know what it works.I was shocked with that.i would never have thought something you rub on your skin makes such a difference.
    The worse thing about fibromyalgia is no matter how much tell people what its like folk still expect you to jump over a five bar gate. Pam.
  • feir
    edited February 2018
    @Topkitten yes they gave me lansoprazole to take before the naproxen, but thanks for all the comment. i also got told at the hospital it is for bone pain too, the naproxen. (yes i've had to go back to hospital since my last post, lol).

hope everyone has had a nice christmas, ours has been quiet, relaxing, and not too stressful despite everything.

• feir
    ussie said:
    Hi, I have Fibromyalgia too, I take Gabapentin for the pain. I work on a checkout which causes me unbearable pain, about three hours into my shift my whole body racks in pain. But my Doctor won’t support me in giving up work. She says it is good to work for my depression, which it may be but the pain is unbearable some days especially over a Christmas with lifting heavy bottles etc. I also take tablets for my depression and tablets for my diabetes. Life is such fun! What can we do but take one day at a time, I just wish my Doctor was more supportive.
    @Ussie can't you work in a more appropriate job role? i'm sure when you're disabled you get the rights to not do things you can't or shouldn't and your boss is supposed to find work you can do. although i don't know your condition so have no idea what you're capable of exactly. i would look into your rights as a disabled employee for sure.
  • ussie
    Hi Feir, I have had many conversations with my line manager, my hr manager and so on, apparently if you are not fit for the job then you are not fuflling your contract. They do not have to create a job for you. I have worked for them fo 20 years and obviously when I started I was fit and in good health. I use to work in the office which suited me much better because I could sit a bit and get up as I needed to, but they told me my office job was no longer needed and all they could offer me was a job on checkouts. I knew it would not be suitable for me but they would not listen. Also they wouldn’t offer me redundancy so I was stuck, with a job I didn’t like and which caused me pain.  
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Wilkinson66 a quick word of warning. Check how much of the anti-inflammatory tablets you are on compared to the maximum dosage. If on the max dose then the anti-inflammatory in Voltarol could push you over the top and cause problems.

As a general rule NSAID's should not be taken continuously. You should be taken off them after (I think) a year to let your body recover as they are quite damaging. After a short break you can go back on them. I had issues by being left on them too long even though I didn't always take all the tablets prescribed.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • feir
    hi @Ussie. that's a shame about what rights you do (or don't really) have, i thought there would be more protection or help but i had a quick look on the .gov site in case there was anything and it is just gaining employment and not getting  sacked rights that disabled people seem to have and not much else. i may have also got my original statement confused with pregnancy rights. hope you get something sorted somehow.
  • ussie
    Hi Feir, 
    Thank you for looking on my behalf, yes it is pretty **** really that employers don’t do more to help especially when you have worked for them a long time and have developed your problems whilst in their employ. Still onwards and upwards, I keep trying my best and that is all I can do. Thanks for your concern. 
  • feir
    you're welcome. shame i didn't find anything.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.