Benefits advise? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits advise?

Options
umberella
umberella Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi.
I have my advisor at scope who has been a brilliant help trying to get me more work focused.
But i dont feel well benefit advised 
If i might ask the question?
How is the situation ever going to get better?
The list of obsacles is long.
I prefare to work and most days im very capable there are occasions i need an empathetic employer who is more flexible to my health needs.
Aĺl employers expect good honest employees who enhance the workplace, 
Mums get to parents there children still.
So why am i not allowed or assisted to work alongside my health?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @umberella

Good afternoon & welcome!!

It’s always good to share your “trials & tribulations”

As they always say “two heads” are better than one!!!

Please please let me know if I can help/support you in anyway ?????

Many thanks.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    umberellaumberella,

I'm not sure if your question is a benefits question or an employment question. If it's about the difficulty in finding suitable work, it might be better to ask in the 'employment adviser' section.

For benefits, if you are on ESA, you can do 'permitted work'. That's any work which is less than 16 hours a week and where you earn no more than £120 a week. It doesn't affect ESA or housing benefit if you do this.

If you're on universal credit, the rules are a bit different. You can work as much as you like if you are also on DLA or PIP, but your earnings are likely to reduce your universal credit. If you're not on DLA or PIP, then you need to make sure you don't earn more than 16 times the minimum wage - the earnings might still reduce your universal credit though, depending on how much you earn.

PIP and DLA are not directly affected by working, but sometimes working means the DWP want to reassess you.

The lack of disability-friendly employment and the complexity of the benefit system are both big barriers to work. You might want to talk to your employer about this. The government are supposed to be improving the numbers of disabled people in work and they have a new strategy to do this, but it's likely to take some time before it really helps people. Talking to your MP could help to improve government policies for the future as well as helping you personally,

There are some ways the benefits system tries to help but it's important to understand the rules, and the system is far from perfect. If you have any questions about the explanation above, do ask us.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.