Christmas is fraught with difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas is fraught with difficulties

shardi
shardi Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2017 in Coffee lounge
Hello everyone.  I’m new on here so feeling bit unsure & nervous.   
Im sure I’m not alone in feeling this time of the year can come fraught with difficulties.   I feel everyone, every advertisement on tv & radio harp on about “the perfect” family Xmas.   There is no ‘let up’ for peepswith no family, few mate & -  my biggest problem - no ability to go Xmas shopping as find it hard to leave home by self, I’m all in favour of Xmas or anything that brings peeps together & create happiness, but most have no idea how hard it is for us few.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shardi

It’s great to meet you this evening & welcome to our online community/family.

Don’t feel nervous we are a friendly bunch!!!!!

Please please let me know if I can help/support you in anyway??????
  • debkenzo
    debkenzo Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Hello Shardi
    Welcome to the forum.  I am quite new here and have found it to be most informative, friendly and safe.  I hope you find the help you need. 
    Debbie :)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shardi
    Welcome to the community, I don't think you are alone at all in feeling fraught around christmas time.  Our guest posts at the minute are about Isolation at christmas and social media, isolation and christmas.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Hi @shardi
    I hear ya!  I get so frustrated because I don't drive and we live out in the sticks.  Plus a simple trip out tires me out so much

Shopping on the Internet helps a lot, you just need to find what you want, pay and it's delivered to your door.  That might help a bit.  If you're not very Internet savvy with online shopping I'm sure someone on here can help you work it out.

Christmas is such a difficult time for some, there's so much emphasis on family and good cheer etc.  If you're a bit fed up, can't get out and disabled or in pain, with not much family support - it can all get a bit much.  

I don't know if you're spending Xmas on your own, but if you are, maybe check to see if there's any community events going on for Xmas?  Sometimes restaurants offer free meals for people who are spending Xmas day alone for example.  If you can't get to things like this, perhaps message the organiser and ask if they can arrange lifts with other folks?

Try not to let all the Xmas hype get to you, just quietly, and at your own pace, enjoy what you can.  Personally I love seeing the shop displays and the Xmas lights, reading about some of the lovely Xmas campaigns on Facebook, being cosy indoors and good Xmas telly.  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.