Im losing my home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Im losing my home

Options
Jessabell2017
Jessabell2017 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I got overpaid tax credits they didnt inform me till an rediculous amout now they have took have my tax credits to pay back not payed up till april so no housig benefit only 50p towards so i have to find rest which has caused arrears which now ive got eviction notice im in a housing association propertyi have 4 kids 

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Jessabell2017
    Please go and speak to CAB if they double check your case. 
  • Jessabell2017
    Jessabell2017 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    None open anymore so what do i do tried ringin u was on all day didnt get thru
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @Jessabell2017 Sorry to chip in but my son and family are paying back an overpayment and have been for some years now. You can ring Tax Credits and arrange a smaller amount to pay back, no more than you can afford. You have to fill in a form I think about your income and expenditure to prove you can't afford what they're taking off you. Please find some help with doing this if you're struggling. Hope that helps.. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jessabell2017

How are things today ????

Please please let me know if I can help you ???

Thanks.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @Jessabell2017

An eviction notice needs dealing with immediately and by a professional. You can find details of housing advisers local to you using the tool on Shelter's website http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_services_directory my advice is keep calling round until you find one that can take you case on as a legal aid case. You may also be able to find benefits advisers in your area through this - also your housing association may have some (they're normally called Money Advisers but sometimes do benefits too).

With your Tax Credits, @Wildlife is quite right that the HMRC should reduce deductions where this is causing hardship, but it is quite unusual for them to stop a claim altogether - make sure that your claim is actually still live, as if not this could cause further issues for you. This needs to be your number 2 priority after the eviction, as with 4 children you will not be able to survive without your tax credits.

With your Housing Benefit - is this at 50p because you are subject to the Benefit Cap? If so then it's worth asking your council to consider a Discretionary Housing Payment to cover at least some of your rent. Even if you've been turned down, I would reapply making the point that you have an eviction notice due to rent arrears and 4 children who could be made homeless.

Let us know how you get on - absolutely anything further you need to know please do get back in touch!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.