I'm 56yrs old and had ESA stopped after an assessment. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm 56yrs old and had ESA stopped after an assessment.

Tiffy1691
Tiffy1691 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
Call me Tiffy. I'm 56yrs old and had ESA stopped after an assessment. I'm disputing the decision. Am so scared cos I know I'm going to struggle.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tiffy1691, and welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't get the outcome you were hoping for. Scope have some great advice on appealing a DWP decision that you may find useful. Keep us updated and we'll do what we can to support you!
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tiffy1691

It’s great to meet you this afternoon Tiffy

I’m so sorry to hear that you have had your ESA stopped.

Is there any “help / support that I can offer you???????

Please please let me know.

Many thanks.
  • Tiffy1691
    Thankyou guys. This is such a big thing when you have to prove you have problems. I know there are people much worse than me but when you struggle with  things everyday and you know you're not as you used to be it makes you tired. Sorry for being miserable but it's nearly Christmas and i can't do anything for my family. Bless you for the welcome x
  • debkenzo
    debkenzo Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Hello Tiffy.
    Welcome to the site.  My name is Debbie.  I am quite new here and find the site to be very informative, friendly and safe to use.  I hope you find the help that you need.  :)
  • Tiffy1691
    Hi all, 
    I'v been to see someone at citizen's advice and started the dispute/appeal process. I've also attended a few job centre appointments and the fact that the job centre staff were all positive and smiling but the advice guy seemed the complete opposite it really makes you worry more! I hope everyone manages ok whatever life throws at them xx
  • macca10
    macca10 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I have a appeal on the 8th January.I have very bad back  problems.disc diease and IBS.I am in constant pain.I dont know why I have to go to court to prove this,when they have all the evidence.This is very very stressful and to top it all ,i now got a letter frm DLA to change to PIP.To me it's almost like they want to pull me down with this constant worry.Which is working.
  • macca10
    macca10 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Tiffy.
    I would say don' give up.You have gone to the right place for advice with your appeal.good luck.I waited 8 months to get my date for my appeal on the 8 January.I was claiming half pay on ESA until the outcome.I had to appeal 2 years ago and won then.I have not got any better,so I don' know why I have to go through this again.I will update on here on the 8th.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    Hello @macca10 Welcome to the forum.  Pleased to meet you.  Sorry what you are going through.  This is a message of support.  I do understand what you are going through.  You have done the right thing coming on here.  This helps.  The stress and worry I am afraid is the big concern.  I had my assessment last year for  ESA  I know that is hard and difficult not only mentally.  The constant anxiety.  I have been there.  I hope and pray that you stay positive.  I know that is not easy and I do not wish to be patronising.  I have been in your situation.  I am waiting for PIP assessment.   I am still on the old DLA. This is due maybe this year I do not know.   I hope not because car contract ends wishful thinking.  If and when I have to look at options. I just know being on here I get the help and support I need.  Nice to talk to you and best wishes in what happens
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Tiffy1691
    Just read through everyone's posts and i have a question.  I still get PIP but ESA has stopped. If you continue getting PIP will that payment continue or will that stop too and if it doesn't does that show a disability has been recognised?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Tiffy

PIP is non means tested and will continue as long as you meet the criteria. Esa has nothing to do with PIP the criteria is different for each

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi macca and welcome

Be aware that DLA and PIP are very different and being in receipt of DLA does not mean you will get a PIP award

It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and the criteria for an award. A good starting place is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

If you want an advanced look and a practice PIP form ( it cannot be sent in )
    one of our members, Chris, has produced one that you can fill in on line

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iizytw2satztx7b/Pip+2+PDF+Fillable.pdf

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • PjDay
    PjDay Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    A Passport to ESA

I get ESA (Support Group) and didn't have a face to face assessment and didn't have one for PIP either. I think if you send the right NHS supporting evidence to score you enough points, they don't need to see you and just do a desk top assessment.  

A passport to ESA is given if you are incontinent. Many disabled folk suffer from this, but not all get it assessed - it is worth asking your GP for a referral if you do suffer and want to be in the ESA Support Group.

I hope this tip helps.
  • PjDay
    PjDay Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I can only speak from my own experience - I have Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis and found that if you have problems every week you will get or should be allocated the full 15 points. The incontinence only needs to happen once a month to qualify. Please try and get medical evidence to take to your medical with you that way it may save you from having to go to tribunal. Any NHS evidence you take has to be taken into account. I supplied a letter from my GP plus my Care Plan from my MS Nurse which mentioned this, and which pads I have delivered. 

When I went to the Continence Adviser she just scanned my bladder, asked a few questions then gave me a form to record how much I drink each day and how much I pee over over three days and how many times I wet my pads. The District Nurses then ordered the pads for me which are delivered every 12 weeks.

Many neurological conditions cause incontinence including including anxiety. Just thought I'd mention this. 

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/incontinence

https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/incontinence

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/urinary-incontinence/

• Tiffy1691
    Hello again, hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year.  I wish you all the best for 2018.

After reading PjDays post about incontinence brought back how shocked i was after my assessor and the CAB advisor said the same thing. That is that I would be expected to wear incontinence pads to work!!! How lovely. Also that my walking problems could be resolved by the use of a wheelchair which could even be kept at my workplace
  • Tiffy1691
    Oops was i timed out in the previous post?

I added more that doesn't seem to have saved where I explained my health problems. I think I was looking for confirmation from you guys that my problems are real because I keep feeling I'm being regarded as a fraud and every once in a while I get anxious about it all. Thanks for listening xx 

Love and strength to you all 

Tiffy  xx
  • Tiffy1691
    My mandatory reconsideration came back with an extra 6 points awarded on top of the 6 points I was initially given. 
    Sent the appeal off last week so fingers crossed.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tiffy1691 Pleased for you,  pray and hope wish you the best.

Always here to listen, sending a message of support.

Hope you are OK 

Take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Tiffy1691
    Apparently when you appeal after having ESA stopped you're supposed to go on ESA at assessment rate. I didn't know this until I rang CAB this May after being on JSA since end of Nov last year. 
    I now know that until the tribunal decision has been made I remain on ESA at a/rate. I feel so stupid!
  • debkenzo
    debkenzo Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    edited June 2018
    Hi Tiffy
    Please try not to feel stupid.  The DWP are ******** and will not tell you everything.  I had exactly the same experience.  It took me months to find out that I was entitled to the assessment rate while awaiting my Tribunal Hearing.  My Tribunal hearing is today at 10am and of course i am wide awake.  Who can sleep normally under such conditions?  
  • Tiffy1691
    Bless you debkenzo.
    I might have read several times that i should have gone onto assessment rate. My memory is so poor lately. 
    Good luck for today. 
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you xx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.