If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

This category is now closed

Please visit the relevant category below to post your question or join the conversation:

Carer's Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

PIP and DLA

Universal Credit

What benefits am I entitled to?

View all categories

Statment of reason

steph113steph113 Posts: 4Member Listener
edited December 2017 in Ask a benefits advisor
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice I won my first tier tribunal back in September dwp then requested a statment of reason which I finally received on the 28th of November. Do the dwp have until the 28th of this month to reply or do I have to take into consideration all the holidays? I'm fed up of waiting now 

Replies

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 6,618Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @steph113

Im not sure on this, I would think that you need to take into account bank holidays and non working days but Im not sure.

@Debbie_Scope or @BenefitsTrainingCo do you know?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 2,896Member Brian Blessed
    It’s one month from the date on the accompanying letter. In reality it’s routinely extended for DWP applications for leave to appeal in a way it isn’t for claimants. The process of transferring a statement of reasons to the correct legal team etc. can eat into that as can general administrative incompetence. The next think you’ll hear is if the DWP have been granted leave to appeal. You don’t get to hear if they’ve applied unless you choose to hassle them.

in reality you’ll be ringing a (possibly outsourced) call centre and its unlikeky they’ll have anything from the legal team on their system to show where it’s up to. Better to sit tight and see what happens. At this stage it will realistically be 2018 before you get any indication anyway.
  • steph113steph113 Posts: 4Member Listener
    Hi sorry about the delayed reply @Sam_Scope yes Idid have to take into consideration bank holidays etc my statment of reason was issued on the 28th of November so I should hear off them soon I think.
    @mikehughescq I have read on another chat on hear that if they are going to request permission to appeal they have to notify me is that not right? If @BenefitsTrainingCo could give me some input it would be much appreciated.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 2,896Member Brian Blessed
    They don't have to notify you at all. Basic civility and competence suggests they ought to as a means to explain, for example, why benefit isn't going into payment immediately but in reality the first you will learn of this is if you either ring up and get told or you get notified that their application for leave to appeal has been granted by HMCTS in London.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,495Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hi steph113, 

If the statement of reasons were issued on 28th November the DWP would now be out of time for any dispute, so they have either requested permission to appeal by now or they need to pay you.
    You could call the Tribunals Service and ask if there have been any developments? If they haven't received anything from the DWP you should phone PIP and request payment.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Lee Kempson
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • steph113steph113 Posts: 4Member Listener
    @mikehughescq I genuinely thought they had to notify me. @BenefitsTrainingCo thank you I thought they were. They actually rang me on the 10th and said I'll receive a letter with in the next few days and a payment with in 5-7 days. Just waiting for the letter now with all the details.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,495Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hello steph113

It is good to hear that arears will be issued to you soon.

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Lee Kempson
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.