Pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Ellis
Ellis Community member Posts: 7 Listener
My son has just been awarded pip. He lives with me. Will this affect my housing benefit and council tax in any way

Comments

• pitcroft
    pitcroft Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Ellis

I have no idea, do you have a Communicare or Citizens Advice Bureau, near where you live, they maybe able to help.

Miriam
  • Ellis
    Have just read that pip is disregarded towards h benefit and council tax 
  • steph113
    steph113 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    It won't effect your housing benefit or any other benefits you may recieve x
  • Ellis
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Ellis I don't know the answer to your question but my hubby who deals with our finances says you need to tell the council about any change in household income whether it affects it or not so I suggest taking his PIP entitlement letter along to the council or at least ring them to ask for advice.  
  • Ellis
  • Rosiesmum
    Rosiesmum Community member Posts: 75 Connected

Hi @Ellis do you have a local carers centre? They do a full benefit check for you and offer advice if needed and support.PIP is a disregarded benefit as far as I know with regards to income so your housing benefit and council tax should not be affected.

I would definitely contact the council as they will have someone who can advise you further and it may be that now your son qualifies for PIP he may be entitled to other help eg  free travel/bus pass

• Ellis
    Thanks rosiesmum xx
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    EllisEllis,

This is a good question. If your son is still a dependant (under 16 or 16-19 in full-time non advanced education) then him getting PIP can only increase any benefits you get for him, such as child tax credit. As everyone has said, it is worth telling the council too, as it can affect your housing benefit calculation. As you've discovered, PIP which you get or a dependent child gets is disregarded. So if it does affect your housing benefit or council tax reduction it could only be in a good way (or, if you already get maximum amounts of these benefits, it may have no effect).

If your son is not a dependant (called a non-dependant in the benefit system), because he is over 18 or has left non-advanced education (anything up to and including A level), then what is called a non-dependant deduction can be taken off your housing benefit. Your council tax liability could change if you are no longer the only adult in the household, and your council tax reduction could also change (depending on how the local authority calculate this).

Unfortunately, a non-dependant deduction can still be made for an adult who is on PIP. But it may be that you are exempt from a non-dependant deduction for other reasons, for example, because YOU are on PIP, or because your son is a full-time student. So unfortunately, to answer your question fully whoever is helping you would have to ask lots of other questions. But broadly, if your son was already living with you as an adult, and then got PIP, it shouldn't reduce your housing benefit - any non-dependant deduction that already applied would continue, though.

I agree with all the advice above about getting help locally if you can. The Scope helpline can tell you about local disability information and advice, or you can use the services directory. Your son may be entitled to other help now he is on PIP and/or you may too.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Ellis
    Thanks. My son is 26 has always lives with me, has been Awarded enhanced rate on both, and I am currently on jsa. Regards Elaine 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Ellis

As your son has always lived with you, and is 26 years old, and you are not on a disability benefit yourself there is already likely to be a reduction in your Housing Benefit/Council tax Reduction. This reduction as Will said is called a non-dependent charge.  If your son was receiving benefits before the award of PIP then the reduction or non-dependent charge is likely to remain the same. I agree that it is still best to make your Council Benefit Section aware that your son is now receiving PIP. 

I also agree that it may be good to seek local advice in regard to your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction and as it maybe if you care for your son that JSA is not the right benefit for you to claim.  This however can complicated depending on whether you are in an area where a new claim for benefit means a new claim for Universal Credit.

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.