PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Pip tribunals

mssissippi1952mssissippi1952 Member Posts: 23 Listener
hi,as anyone been to a pip tribunal lately I have to go in a weeks time I’m worried about what they ask you

Replies

• MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2017
    Here's what I posted (now updated) after my successful PIP tribunal hearing in May.  Hope it's of some help.  Also Disability Rights (DR) site has a free guide to PIP appeals, as does their benefits Handbook price £15 from DR site.

"Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  The Atos assessor asked that, too.  Although of course PIP points are supposed to be awarded for distance, not time (or so I thought).  But the DWP think time equals distance, i.e. 20m = 30 seconds,

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of daily living disability.   

I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances."

• mssissippi1952mssissippi1952 Member Posts: 23 Listener
    Thank you matilda
Sign in or join us to comment.