Dealing with psychosis and other mental health issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dealing with psychosis and other mental health issues

Options
stacy
stacy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi all, it’s only been very recently over say the past 6 months that I am starting to accept that I am unwell, that something within me has changed, and that the person I was is not around right now and that’s ok.
how do you cope with mental illness??
I kind of see myself grieving for the person I was and trying to accept who I am becoming now. X

Comments

• Dominique
    Dominique Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    You set yourself aims and then smaller goals, and then you set everyday intentions. After that, you set yourself one intention maybe for the next day but maybe for a few days time and get your mind around to making it. If you don't make it, it won't matter, because it's not life and death, but the more you go on in this way and set a realistic intention then the more you'll do what you want to do during the day and in life and the more you'll do what you like doing during the day. 

These small intentions can be simply deciding with a solid resolution that you will change the television channel e.g. tomorrow when you're bored with what you're watching; you will close the living room door when your cold; you decide to smile sometimes at your friend. After that, you can build your intentions until you reach your goals. 

Don't worry Stacy, I was certified by my CPN's chat, misunderstood by my carers and on a Haloperidol injection every four weeks, but now I'm none of the above. I stood up for my rights before my CPN because she was all I had, and she validated to those extreme Christians around me that I was indeed allowed to write atheist poetry. I wrote my way out of mental illness after I was partly helped over it by fantastic, seeing carers, and even though it can look like an infinite hole, it is not. Mental illness means you have somewhere to go, a journey to take. Good luck! 

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @stacy

A very very big welcome to you this evening.

Yes I have got that “T Shirt” as well.

Following my Stroke in 1998 I quickly made sure that the only way.

Forward was too forget the old me (pre Stroke)

This enabled me to move forward. I’m now “Mark 2”

Please please let me know if I can help/support you further???  
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @stacy
    What a positive move for you, are you getting any support?

Many people find speaking out to loved and trusted people around you, it is often surprising to find out how many people are going through, or have been through mental health struggles too.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kenny
    kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    I too cannot accept that i have been suffering from mental illness my mind keeps telling me i have put it al on and there is nothing wrong, but other people know there is something wrong and i am obviously not my normal self. I seem to have lost interest in things i used to enjoy, i can be my normal self, and then somehow dip back down again
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hello @stacy Pleased to meet you.  Yes understanding yourself and what makes you tick and be the person you are is the first step.  I have mental illness but I know me..  The support and messages from others.  You are the one that knows your own personal issues.  Always of course find what helps you thought the day.  Simple small steps.  All the time you need to get a better sense of how you are feeling.  Could be great today, have a bad day tomorrow.  Up and down so simple small steps.  Wish you best and remember our community are hear to listen give advice and support where needed.  Keep in regular contact with the support team that may be helping whether that is doctors or CPN or mental health charity.  Also most important you come first no matter what and if you do not wish to do something no pressure from friends, family.  It is your life.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.