Family offers future hope for those in chronic pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Family offers future hope for those in chronic pain

Geoark
Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
First I am going to offer my apology for those of  you who constantly suffer chronic pain, because I do often ignore these posts.

When it was at its worse the pain from sciatica was constant and intense. It drained me mentally, physically and emotionally. I would often end up in tears while trying to walk down the street. Fortunately for me it only lasted about two years before the pain was brought down to a manageable level. Had it carried on I don't know how I would be coping with it now. So while I appreciate to some extent what it is like I would never compare myself to someone who has suffered chronic pain for years, and just don't know what to say. I would rather say nothing than offer platitudes to people I respect.

Any way the BBC recently ran a story about a family who do not feel pain and have found mutations in the ZFHX2 gene. Two studies where this gene has been bred out of mice has found they have a much higher threshold to pain. Reasearchers hope as they learn more it will offer a way forward for new drugs to target pain. Though it is likely to be many years before such drugs become available.

You can read the story at 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42322225

As an individual I stood alone.
As a member of a group I did things.
As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.