Do you suffer from the "Winter blues" ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you suffer from the "Winter blues" ?

Options
CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
At this time of year, many people feel listless and lack energy. Do you have trouble "getting
going "? When the daylight hours are short and the sky is overcast, many people feel this way. Does this sound familiar ?

This could be down to a lack of sunlight. We know that sunlight is needed, but if you struggle to get out maybe you are missing out on the benefits. At this time of year the effects can be even greater.
There is a condition "Seasonally Affected Disorder" or SAD which may be affecting how you feel.
Not all GP's recognise this condition and some dispute that it even exists.

When the days are grey and heavy and I just can't get going, I have found that sitting in front of a light box with a daylight bulb does help.

If this is you, then it is worth talking to your GP or do your own research into SAD and SAD light boxes.

CR
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In winter we experience some of the symptoms of hibernation, inherited from mammal ancestors who used to hibernate, as some mammals still do.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hello @CockneyRebel How are you ?  I think I do I know I am worse this is the start of another year.  Is it me just feel well down and thinking the long weary road ahead.  The thought of fighting for what we all should deserve in our community.  The injustices and discrimination.  The fear factor of the unknown.  My hopes and the rest.  Where does time go.  I try to be positive and be upbeat for my self and support who I can on this forum.  Sometimes I get wound up and on edge.  Helping myself the best I can.  Looking at diet and the wellbeing has made me aware of my failings.  Need to stock up on feel good items and I have learnt this.  Over the years.  I do I call it this sunshine food.  All lovely colours.  This helps all you lovely people out there.  I have to talk about what is bothering me.  I know science is playing a part in finding out solutions.  To the evitable question why the blues in Winter.  Thought about Christmas gone thank god . What helped me is the messages of support from others like myself this time.  So I know am not alone in this.  Or am I just a grumpy old man with a sense of humour and an attitude.  Nice to talk to you Speak to you soon.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.