Has anyone any advice with pip? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone any advice with pip?

jarman87
jarman87 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Has anyone any advice with pip? My husband was on dla had to apply for pip. Is in the support group for esa until 2019 review. He had low mobility standard care on dla. He was eligile for carer allowance which I recieve. I filled in  the forms at length describing all the care I do on the affects of his disability. He had a face to face assesment. He' been granted enhanced mobility and no care... he got 6 points needing a minimum of 8. So in one respect it is positive.  But as I don't drive and he can't. The daily living is more important as his epilepsy is brittle and he also suffers with depression.  The criteria suggests that he got pip mobility needing help to go on journey etc. Points suggest he needs supervising in the bath and cooking. Suggestions of good communication was not correct as memory was said to be good and it didn' say about needing prompting. How should I proceed as they acknowledged he had 4/ 5 tonic clonic fits a month but did not mention the nocturnal ones which affect him more than 50% of the week. My husband would love to go to work in reality but years of seizures and complex depression means he is a shell of himself.  Has anyone advice please? 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jarman87 and welcome to the community.

You  can use a PIP calculator to check what he should be entitled to, but the assessor may not see it the same way. If you disagree with some of the points given you can request a mandatory reconsideration, but please be aware that this is often a rubber stamping exercise as they often conclude the original award was correct. At this point you can consider whether or not you want to go to appeal.

It is also important to remember that a person needs to be able to meet the requirement safely.  For example your husband may be able to cook for himself but what if he has a fit, would this for example cause a risk of fire. I know with friends with epilepsy that fits are often followed by a period of confusion. 

If there is additional medical information this should be provided, but the main focus on at MR and appeal should be focussed on how he meets the criteria you feel he should have. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.