Hi, my name is Ritzy! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Ritzy!

Ritzy
Ritzy Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
Hello
I am going through an appeal process. I was taken off my Pip within four weeks of me being told that my entitlement to Pip had been stopped because I didn't meet the criteria now.  Even though I have other health issues that affect my everyday life, they haven't taken this into consideration.  It has been very hard and stressful.  Does anyone have fibromyalgia in the group?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Ritzy and welcome

We have many members with fibromyalgia that do receive PIP.
    Fibro is one of the conditions that is hard to prove but can be done.
    Good luck with your appeal, please ask any questions and we will try and help

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Ritzy
    Thanks for your reply.  How long does it take after you put in your appeal to get a response?  Also who looks at the appeal is it a panel of people of the people from the DWP?
  • CockneyRebel
    You should receive an acceptance letter within 28days after submitting your SSCS1
    Then the DWP have "28 days" to prepare their case and send you a copy of all the evidence, known as the bundle.

The tribunal panel is independent and consists of a judge, A medical professional and a disability expert. The DWP may also send a presenting officer

CR

• Ritzy
    Thanks for the information. 

I'm wondering also will I have to attend or do they make the decision based upon the evidence I submit?
  • CockneyRebel
    When you submitt your SSCS1 you can opt for either an oral or paperbased hearing.
    You should opt for an oral hering but you can change your mind. Oral hearings do have a better success rate

CR
  • Ritzy
    I cant remember if I put Oral.  What does that mean, they talk to you over the phone or something.... ?
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Ritzy Have you done a Mandatory Reconsideration and still been turned down and is this the 3rd stage when you Appeal to a Tribunal? If so Oral means you attend the hearing which is usually at your local courts. However while you're applying for your Appeal you can still carry on ringing the DWP to speak to a Case Manager about your claim. You can ask why it is being turned down and if there is any more evidence that would change your award. Have you got your assessor's report? If not ask for this to be sent to you asap.   
  • Ritzy
    All this is still new to me.  It's a company that was recommended to me that helps to fill out the forms.  When we looked at what the assessor had written about me it was a pack of lies.  Some of which she had written HE, hence I am a woman, so we figured that she must have copied and pasted some of her comments, as she also said that I was dressed well, I was still in my nightie, dressing gown and hair was uncombed because I had had bad night.  She claimed she had knowledge about the condition but was so busy typing up her notes that we didn't really have any eye contact, and I was asked to to different moves like stand up and go on my tip toes, I refused, I was asked to put my arms up in the air, I said I cannot do that, as I had had a shoulder replacement some months ago and was in so much pain, I am waiting to have my hips done and couldn't do what she asked.  Her report said I refused without giving reasons why...
    Pack of lies......but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get through with my appeal....
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Appeal panels know that many assessors tell lies in their reports so don't set much store by them.  The doctor at my hearing did make some references to the HCP's report but neither the judge nor the disability person made any.  I won my appeal.

Appeal panels are inquisitorial so be prepared for a lot of questions.  Don't take their approach personally: it's their job to winkle out the truth.  Disability Rights UK (DR) publish a benefits Handbook with a good section on appeal hearings.  Price £15 from their website.  I found it worth the money.
  • Ritzy
    Thanks for the information.  I will let you know how I get on when I hear from the DWP.  It's along drawn out process to get a benefit, I hope it will be worth it in the end.  Can you get this book from the Library? 
  • Matilda
    I don't know.  It's a private publication but you could ask at the library.
  • Ritzy
    I looked on the website Disability Rights UK (DR)
     but couldn't find the book you mentioned.
  • Matilda
    It should be under Sales.
  • Ritzy
    Ok I'll have another look later
    Thanks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.