Driving as a stress reliever — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving as a stress reliever

Options
manstickcar
manstickcar Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 2018 in Transport and travel
I suffer from pain, lots of it. Mostly unexplained. Yes I have joint problems, but since I've been in this state I've put on weight - so maybe that's not helping. The pain is in my muscles, joints, even my head at times. I struggle to walk and concentrate or even get out of bed most days, but some days I can walk quite well for a little while, (as long as I don't fall over), 20 - 50 metres before needing a brief rest. When I get anxious the pain increases and stress can make it unbearable. I have been diagnosed with Centralised Pain, Hyperalgesia, Neuropathy and symptoms of Fibromyalgia, Anxiety and induced Depression. Cold hurts and even the pressure of wearing clothes can be agony on a bad day.

However, driving doesn't hurt as much. Sure, I have had to go to an automatic, and it hurts to get in and out of a car, but the actual act of driving is far less stressful that just sitting and / or walking. If anything, as my only means of getting out and seeing the world, it feels safe.Even traffic jams are a blessing because they mean more time in the car. At the same time, I don't have to interact face to face with people, which reduces my anxiety.

Am I alone in this? Is this just another sort of stress reliever? Does anyone else feel the same way?

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.