If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can I get a free hearing aid?

SystemSystem Posts: 117 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is The_Canexican!.

Replies

• JazzguitarJazzguitar Posts: 96Member Listener
    Thank you. Csn I get a free NHS Hearing Aid? Neville in Plymouth
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 4,089Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Jazzguitar

Hearing aids are available on the NHS for anyone who needs them.

Your GP can refer you to an NHS hearing aid provider if they think you might need a hearing aid.

The benefits of getting a hearing aid on the NHS include:

• hearing aids are provided for free as a long-term loan
    • batteries and repairs are free (there may be a charge if you lose or break your hearing aid and it needs to be replaced)
    • you don't have to pay for any follow-up appointments or aftercare

But while several modern hearing aids are available on the NHS, these are usually the BTE or very occasionally the RITE type. You may need to pay for private treatment if you want one of the other types.

The waiting time for getting a hearing aid on the NHS can also sometimes be longer than the wait for private treatment.

• NystagmiteNystagmite Posts: 456Member Chatterbox
    I'm in Plymouth and all 3 of mine have been free.
  • Ella1976Ella1976 Posts: 86Member Whisperer
    Yes you can,if you go to your GP and have the correct advice,at the moment my Dad is strugling with useless ones(Old fashioned supposedly digital but obviosly not)My GP has said available at the moment(be quick!)Are proper digital ones usually £2,000 keep his old ones for back up.The digital ones stop all the Background noise meaning you can actually hear what is being said.At the moment my Dad ends up turning his old ones down in loud resturants.Anywhere noisy,he can't see so that doesn't help!The TV is on max volume the house is like Blackpool illuminations..Go to the correct place last time my Dad went to the Hospital,as he was hearing less and less.The new ones are even worse..I am booking him in ASAP as he is getting more desperate..
Sign in or join us to comment.