Hi Im Vic, ask me questions about parenting and SEN — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi Im Vic, ask me questions about parenting and SEN

ParentingAdvisorVikki
ParentingAdvisorVikki Community member Posts: 45 Connected
My name is Vic and I am a mum of 4 and I am the new Parenting and SEN advisor here on the online community.

I live on the Kent coast with my wife and our children. 2 of my children have additional needs. Some of these needs include Autism, sensory processing difficulties, sleep disorder, food allergies and much more! 

I am a family and lifestyle blogger and a graphic designer. 
Ask me anything you need to know about special needs now! 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ParentingAdvisorVikki - we are thrilled to have you on board and look forward to working with you :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    I have a friend who is profoundly dyslexic. He is 33 and has slipped through the education system by being wrongly diagnosed. He survives every day.

The dyslexia is not the current problem, it is the DWP.

He is unemployed on Job seekers allowance and is being threatened with sanctioning for not doing enough online jobsearch.

The DWP are aware of his disability and have had it confirmed by people running the many courses he has been sent on.

To give an example of his impairment - He can use the bus service IF he knows the bus route number. He cannot read the destination.

He has been on courses but has a severe disability - expecting him to do online anything is similar to asking me (wheelchair user) to run a marathon.

How can he get the DWP off his back?

I know this sounds totally bonkers but it is happening and he will face yet another brow beating load of threats when he signs on tomorrow.

I hope you can help

Jon

• ParentingAdvisorVikki
    ParentingAdvisorVikki Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Hi Jon,

Unfortunately there isn't really anything I can advise. I am also Dyslexic, and use aids when on my computer like "dragon Dictation". 

How would your friend fair at a manual job? ie where he doesn't have to read instructions. Building labourer? 

What was he misdiagnosed as?

Maybe @IndependentSupportServices could advise. 

• IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @ParentingAdvisorVikki

Independent Support Services only deal with EHCP applications for children and young people up to 25.

The Dyslexia Association have a section on support for adults which may be of use

http://www.dyslexia.uk.net/adults-with-dyslexia/

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.