i was told that i cannot get a new wheel chair and i would like to know why — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

i was told that i cannot get a new wheel chair and i would like to know why

taz725
taz725 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hello, my name is Tariq and i am disabled . i suffer from cerebral palsy . i have an electrical wheelchair but its is very old and keeps breaking. i was told that i cannot get a new wheel chair and i would like to know why . i really need my electrical wheelchair for outside and i need a new one. 

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi @taz725
    Welcome to the community. 
    We have lots of members with CP here in our community. 
    I hope they will assist you as soon they will see your post. 
    Please see if Scope can assist you here

Hi @Sam_Scope and @Alex , can you please move the post to correct section, advise more. 

Thanks 

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @taz725
    Welcome to the community, I have moved your post over.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @taz725, and welcome to the community! Sorry to hear about this, have you been through the wheelchair referral process? Was it a medical professional who told you that you wouldn't be able to get one? 
  • taz725
    taz725 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    my electrical wheelchair is very old and keeps breaking down on me .several timeserver had to come home on a taxi because it has broken an dive been outside on my own stuck and members of the public helped me get home. im not sure about the wheelchair referential. and it was the wheelchair service who told me 

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    When I first asked about getting a wheelchair I was told that if you can walk (even a few steps) you cannot have a wheelchair on the NHS. I complained that it was a very stupid rule but got nowhere. I had to buy a second hand one just to get by until I could save up for a better one.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @taz725, that must be incredibly frustrating for you, and it seems very odd that you're not able to get a replacement. It might be the wheelchair service who told you who are the best people to speak to about this: they may be able to give you a reason, or they may be able to point you towards another service that could help? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.